none
System Center 2012 SQL Options RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up the suite of SC2012SP1 applications on a Hyper-V 2012 cluster.  Here are the various options in my dilemma, assume that hardware and licensing costs are irrelevant (which in my particular case they are):

1. Separate VM for each component (SCOM, SCCM, SCVMM etc.) with it's own SQL, ON THE SAME VM as the SC component
    2. Separate VM for each component with it's own databases in a single instance of SQL on a separate SQL cluster (shared with other clustered instances - I'm aware that some SC components are not cluster aware and would be standalone on one of the nodes)
    3. Separate VM for each component each with it's own instance on a separate SQL cluster (shared with other clustered instances - probably AC and SCVMM would share an instance)

So I have gone with option 1 because I figured we are relatively small environment, 1000 users, 150 servers and I though I might actually see a performance benefit if the SQL is on the same server as the component.  The Hyper-V hosts are hugely powerful and utilisation is fine.  The underlying storage for the VMs and the SQL is all coming from a 3PAR SAN so it's highly abstracted in terms of traditional concepts like RAID levels and LUNs, basically it's fast and performance is fine.

My problem is that people in the team have gone to Microsoft seminars and researched online and have said we should move all the databases to be on the same SQL server, i.e., option 2 or 3.  I disagree but would like to see what the opinion is.  Is there anything fundamentally wrong with option 1.  Could it even be better?

• Edited by slinkoff Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 12:59 PM