Unaccounted for 'used disk space' RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I have a windows 2008 server with IIS and SQL server 2008 and am having trouble accounting for all the disk space. The issue was highlighted when the server ran low on disk space.

It has a 35Gb system drive. This was showing in the properties as 34.4Gb used.
    Also if I run chkdsk it shows the same amount of used disk space.
    I have show super hidden files set as 1.
    In Explorer if I select everything in the root of C: it reports 14Gb of files.
    If I run a file system tree explorer it shows 18Gb of files.

I have managed to find 10Gb of unaccounted for space with a SQL 2008 database transaction log that had not been maintained. Truncating the log removed this, however I just cannot find the last 10Gb of unaccounted for space.

Now the properties of C: says 25Gb used and selecting all files in the root of C: shows 14Gb what is using the rest?

Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:33 AM

Answers

• ARGHHH!!!

It was so simple. In the end I found the missing used disk space by running an alternative to windows explorer called xyplorer free edition.

Even when running windows explorer as administrator it denied me access to Documents and settings, however running xyplorer as administrator allowed me to find the files I had not been able to with windows explorer.

I could now browse the documents and settings folder and count all the files in it. This accounted for the missing used disk space.

Explorer would not count the disk space for files the current user does not have access to.
    • Marked as answer by richard_onr Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:48 AM

All replies

• Ok, a quick update.

I have found out a little more as to why the tree explorer reported 18Gb and windows explorer only 14Gb. Using FreeCommander file explorer, this shows the pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys files both of which are 2Gb and if you select all the files in C: it gives the same 18Gb.

That still leaves me with 7Gb unaccounted for.....

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:09 PM
  • Still no further progress. Any ideas?
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Has no one seen this before?

Monday, October 5, 2009 10:28 AM
  • ARGHHH!!!

It was so simple. In the end I found the missing used disk space by running an alternative to windows explorer called xyplorer free edition.

Even when running windows explorer as administrator it denied me access to Documents and settings, however running xyplorer as administrator allowed me to find the files I had not been able to with windows explorer.

I could now browse the documents and settings folder and count all the files in it. This accounted for the missing used disk space.

Explorer would not count the disk space for files the current user does not have access to.
    • Marked as answer by richard_onr Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:48 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:48 AM