none
SC 2012 DPM - How to Save Space During Full Server Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I need to backup Windows Server 2008 R2 with 3 disks (C:, D: and E:) which has SQL on it so that it can be restored without any other installation or other activities which go beyond the use of the Windows Backup Utility and Windows 2008 R2 installation DVD.

When we choose to backup Bare Metal Recovery it looks like it duplicates the content of the System State backup.

• What items in the should I choose to perform a complete "Full Server" backup in the terms of Windows Server Backup Utility?
      • Can I omit Disk C: in the object picker if I am choosing System State and/or Bare Metal Recovery+System State?
      • What items should I restore to the alternative location if I need to perform a 'Full Server" in case if I have a server with 3 disks without OS, but with Windows 2008 R2 OS only?

Thank you very much in advance!

• Edited by mike33km Monday, September 10, 2012 4:55 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike33km,

My recommendation would be to backup SQL as a SQL workload using DPM. If your server is physical the only option is to use BMR for your disaster recovery scenarios. This will mean that:

• You must use the WS DVD
    • By default you must have the %systemdrive% included within the protection
    • You can not separate the system state backup and BMR protection between two protection groups

If you would like to be able to restore your SQL server without using any Windows Server media you should virtualize it using Hyper-V and protection your SQL server as a Hyper-V workload using the host-level backup technuiqe.

I hoper this give you some clarity.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Agreed with Robert.

But one point needs further clarification - you can omit disk C: in the object picker when choosing BMR+SS.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by mike33km Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike33km,

My recommendation would be to backup SQL as a SQL workload using DPM. If your server is physical the only option is to use BMR for your disaster recovery scenarios. This will mean that:

• You must use the WS DVD
    • By default you must have the %systemdrive% included within the protection
    • You can not separate the system state backup and BMR protection between two protection groups

If you would like to be able to restore your SQL server without using any Windows Server media you should virtualize it using Hyper-V and protection your SQL server as a Hyper-V workload using the host-level backup technuiqe.

I hoper this give you some clarity.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:06 PM
  • Agreed with Robert.

But one point needs further clarification - you can omit disk C: in the object picker when choosing BMR+SS.

My DPM blog ystartsev.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by mike33km Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:16 AM