Clear flag instead of "Mark as complete" RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all,

I have rather nitpicking issue. For long years we have used IMAP with Outlook. Recently we went for Microsoft Exchange and there is different behaviour of the flags. There is more options, but sometimes less is better.

We used flags to mark emails we need to do, and when we done them, we simply cleared the flag by clicking on the flag. Now if we do the same, the mail is marked as completed.

The issue is, that we also sort the email by flags and now we have first flagged items, then marked as complete and after that received mails, which is confusing and to get rid of the flag, you have to right-click and clear the flag.

Unfortunately for some of our users, that is too big problem after all the years. Is there a way to change the behavior of the Outlook and let it Clear the Flag by simply clicking on it?

I know it is nitpicking, there is also short cut for it - Alt+Insert and you can alway use the right click, I can handle it, but we have some stuborn stuff and they are shouting it is stupid Exchange - eventhough it is miles better then our old IMAP.

Thank you for any advice

Cheers 

Tomas

Monday, January 6, 2020 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Tomas :

>>Is there a way to change the behavior of the Outlook and let it Clear the Flag by simply clicking on it?

According to my test and research, I’m afraid that this is by design and you can’t  change this behavior when you are using an Exchange account.

>> I know it is nitpicking, there is also short cut for it - Alt+Insert and you can alway use the right click, I can handle it.

You can just use the short cut “Alt+Insert” as a workaround. Besides, Quick Steps can also be a choice.

You could create a Quick Step by the following steps:

1. In Mail, select Home.
    2. In the Quick Steps group, select the Create New Quick Step.
    3. In the Name box, type a name for the new Quick Step.
    4. Select the icon button next to the Name box, select an icon, and then select OK.
    5. Under Actions, choose “Clear flags on message”.
    6. To create a keyboard shortcut, in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard shortcut that you want to assign.

For more details, please check this article.

In addition, if you still would like a feature that users can clear the flag by simply clicking on it. It is suggested to submit your feedback via Outlook UserVoice.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Tomas :

>>Is there a way to change the behavior of the Outlook and let it Clear the Flag by simply clicking on it?

According to my test and research, I’m afraid that this is by design and you can’t  change this behavior when you are using an Exchange account.

>> I know it is nitpicking, there is also short cut for it - Alt+Insert and you can alway use the right click, I can handle it.

You can just use the short cut “Alt+Insert” as a workaround. Besides, Quick Steps can also be a choice.

You could create a Quick Step by the following steps:

1. In Mail, select Home.
    4. Select the icon button next to the Name box, select an icon, and then select OK.
    6. To create a keyboard shortcut, in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard shortcut that you want to assign.

For more details, please check this article.

In addition, if you still would like a feature that users can clear the flag by simply clicking on it. It is suggested to submit your feedback via Outlook UserVoice.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 7:37 AM
  • Thank you Jeff.

Since there is no way around, I will make at least Quick Steps for them.

Cheers

Tomas

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:08 AM
  • Hi ,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Clear flag instead of "Mark as complete"

Solution Summary:

It is by design and you can’t  change this behavior when you are using an Exchange account.

You could create a Quick Step as a workaround:

1. In Mail, select Home.

Reference Links:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Automate-common-or-repetitive-tasks-with-Quick-Steps-B184F89F-3738-4562-96DE-C0244EA830F2

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 9:26 AM