none
Entering resource usage Project 2010 std RRS feed

• Question

• where am I going wrong please?  everything default, some resource created

I enter a task name, set a duration say 5 days, double click in resource names, pick an available resource set it to 50% units (or any other value)  it doesn't give a cost and is totally ignored, and setting a value of 100% when OK is clicked.

fixing this every time is tedious in the extreme since there is now no data entry line.

Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:09 PM

All replies

• anotherPaul,

Well, did you give your resources a standard rate on the Resource Sheet?

How exactly are you assigning the resource?

One more thing, is your version of Project fully updated with the latest fixes?

John

Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:21 PM
  • Hi John, thanks for the fast reply, 

a rate is set e.g. £50/hr

resource is assigned by double clicking resource names box in Gantt view, then in the Task information box choose resources tab, choose a resource by drop-down under resource name and units by typing or using the spin wheel. I would then expect a cost to appear and press OK to complete. It behaves like that when editing existing data.

Since in the past I have spent a couple of days chasing a problem when a critical update was s missing from my PC, an early step was to contact my IT department and they 'repaired' and applied 1 missing update (from earlier this month)

Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:55 PM
  • anotherPaul,

The Cost will not appear initially when you assign resources via the Task Information window. It is better to assign resources using the Assign Resources window under Resource/Assignments/Assign Resources.

You still didn't tell us which version of Project you are using. If it is Project 2010, check the following: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp10.aspx. If it is Project 2013, check the following: http://blogs.technet.com/b/projectsupport/p/msp13.aspx. Your version number should match the latest.

John

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:59 PM
  • John,

The version is in the title ;-) 2010 std.  It is fully up-to-date. I am an infrequent user and have only recently converted to 2010 from a pre ribbon, 2003? so am still suffering the massive overhead in finding my way around.

If I remember correctly,  I used to select the resource names cell, go to the top data entry line,  enter the text e.g. E[50]%, T[200%] press enter and job done.

The need/functionality difference between Task Information/Resources tab vs Assign resources window and why double clicking opens one rather than the other, goes over my head.

Perhaps its just me, but I can't get emperors-new-clothes out of my head regarding Microsoft's development of HMI.

Friday, July 31, 2015 10:19 AM
  • anotherPaul,

I sympathize with you about getting used to the ribbon. Personally I didn't think the menu-based GUI was broken, so why was it "fixed"? Nonetheless "progress" must go on.

You say your version is fully updated but humor me, I'd like to see your actual version number, then I can be sure. To see the full version number in Project 2010, go to File/Help and click on the "additional version and copyright information" under About Microsoft Project on the right side. The version number will be displayed at the top of the About Microsoft Project window. For Project 2010 it should be (14.0.7153.5000) SP2 MSO (14.0.7153.5000). The first part of the number is the Project version number and the second part is the Office version number. If your installation is not the above number, then you are not fully updated. Since February 2015 initiating an update to Project is as simple as updating Office, previously Project had to be updated separately.

For reference, you can still enter resource assignments directly in the Resource Names cell. That hasn't changed, however using the Assign Resources sub-window allows more flexibility and since the sub-window stays after an assignment, you can easily make assignments to each task in short order.

Hang in there. This old dog learned some new tricks with the transion, I'm sure you can also, whether you're a new dog or an old dog :-)

John

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:19 PM
  • Hi John,

My version is (14.0.7153.5000) SP2  MSO (14.0.7145.5000)

With my access level I can look for updates (129 updates were listed) but I can't install them. There was one project update missing which our local IT updated for me. The official company level for update is apparently SP1 only (we've only just finished going from XP to 7)

No point in going there! I'm told its a security thing and infinitely more important than the end users.

If there is a sensible way of editing in cell I would welcome it, my attempts end up with

enter first letter, Project suggests resource name, f2 to edit, end to go to end of name, open bracket % required close bracket, enter first letter, Project suggests resource name, f2 to edit, end to go to end of name etc, followed by correcting the inevitable mistake including question on duration changing and/or creating new resource with name one of the initials .  I don't remember Project barging in with suggested full names in the past; that was done upon pressing enter or it allowed use of the initials?

In summary:not productive

I'm away for a couple of weeks but will be back!

Paul

Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:08 PM
  • anotherPaul,

Okay so at least your version of Project is indeed fully updated. The fact the Office is not should not affect what you are doing with Project.

I'm not sure why you want to use the more difficult method of entering resource assignments directly in the Resource Names field. Yes, you will get auto-suggest and I agree that is a pain in the kester most of the time. But, that's not something unique to Project, I find most apps do that now.

Again, I strongly suggest you use the Assign Resource window. Easier and therefore more productive.

I hope your "away time" is vacation and not business.

John

Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:51 PM