none
Windows Thin PC SP1 32-bit - can't properly install Photo Viewer package RRS feed

• Question

• I have performed a clean installation of Thin PC SP1, and tried to add a Windows Photo Viewer package:

1. Downloaded Standard_7SP1_32bit\Standard 7 SP1 32bit IBW from http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11887
    2. Found a Feature Package named winemb-photos-viewer.cab
    3. Installed it via dism /online /Add-Package /PackagePath:bla-bla-bla

It seems like package is installed, however if I double-click any photo, or Open with Windows Photo Viewer - result is: nothing launches, no new processes in task manager.

Hm?

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:16 AM

Answers

• Having worked with thin a bit, I can tell you that sometimes you MAY need to actually specify what program you want the item to install with.  I have this problem with the excel reader but not with the word or acrobat reader.  Try to specify what program you want to use by right clicking on the picture and selecting the open with tab.  Pick the "choose default program" option and select the photo viewer.  If it isn't there, reinstall it normally not using dism.

If that works, then there is a problem when dism installed it.  Please let us know how this works out!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:22 PM

All replies

• Having worked with thin a bit, I can tell you that sometimes you MAY need to actually specify what program you want the item to install with.  I have this problem with the excel reader but not with the word or acrobat reader.  Try to specify what program you want to use by right clicking on the picture and selecting the open with tab.  Pick the "choose default program" option and select the photo viewer.  If it isn't there, reinstall it normally not using dism.

If that works, then there is a problem when dism installed it.  Please let us know how this works out!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Woiks,

Any update on this problem?

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:19 PM
  • 3 years have past. Hope this could help. If the Photo Viewer is installed by dism, it will not have the MUI language file for its launch. You can go to Program File\Windows Photo Viewer\en-US. (en-US may differ to your installed language). The photoviewer.dll.mui will not be there.

To solve this problem, just simply reinstall the english language pack (or the language you use) again by "Dism /online /add-package /packagepath:x:". Some default language packs can be found in the disk of Standard_7SP1_32Bit as you downloaded. A whole lot of time to find the real answer why Photo Viewer won't launch and the print in right click menu doesn't work just because it's lacking of language files.

• Edited by JohnShu Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:51 PM
    Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Hi, old thread, old computers, new answer for the poor souls who have had to enter this wretched realm.

Download IfranView or FastStone Image viewer and forget Wyse/Microsot hell gates.

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/19/featured/5-best-free-image-viewer.html

next-next-next-finish-done!

(Yes ENDUSER, it is DIFFERENT that what you have on your PC, but it works the same)

• Edited by RickkeeC Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:21 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:19 PM