How to: design the best solution for an external site RRS feed

• Question

• Hello experts,

I would like to know what's the best solution/configuration for my below concern:

Our company has MOSS 2007 which should host an internal portal (already working) and an external portal for different partners.

The main objective of the external portal is to exchange different documents between our company and its partners. Each partner has different document types that should be uploaded by different users (different access rights) and different workflows will be applied on each document type

Of course, the different partners cannot have access to each others work zone.

My concern is, which configuration is the best to be used (which also takes care of security and confidentiality of the solution):

• one site for all the partners with different pages (i don't think that it's even a solution :) )
    • one site for each partner within the same site collection?
    • different site collections?
    • use the same domain controller for both external and internal users  or different different DCs or completely different approach for user management?

Any case study that can demonstrate how to build an external portal can also help

Thanks and regards

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:32 AM

Answers

• Probably, becasue they you could roll the statistics up to the top level where everyone could see them.  But still break inheritance on the sub sites and limit which subsites the customers can see.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP Chief SharePoint
    Architect: Sharesquared Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    • Marked as answer by Nassimos Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:16 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:48 PM

All replies

• Depending on how many partners you have I would go with either one site collection with a different subsite for each partner or one site collection per partner.  The single site collection with subsites would be easier for your internal users if you have a large number of partners.  The individual site collection per partner would be easier to secure, but could be more difficult to manage and use for internal users with a large number of partners.

For your domain controller question you might want to look at the following reference.  Its for SharePoint 2010 but the designs are pretty similar when it comes to building an extranet for 2007.  Your biggest issue will be licensing.  If you plan to use 2007 as an extranet you'll need to either buy CALs for each exteral user or an Internet connector license.  The Internet license is fairly expensive.  2010 has a more granular licensing model for external users and can often be more affordable.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=187988

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Thanks Paul for your answer,

I forget to mention that I would like to have a "zone" where i can dispal statistics and KPIs based on partners activities. I think that can be easiest if we opt for single site collection with different subsites, right ?

Regards

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Probably, becasue they you could roll the statistics up to the top level where everyone could see them.  But still break inheritance on the sub sites and limit which subsites the customers can see.
    • Marked as answer by Nassimos Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:16 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 6:48 PM