none
Microsoft Edge Crashes on Windows 10 Version 1703

Question

• Hello-

I seen multiple reports on Edge crashing after the Creator update and there is no fix. I tried running fix commands, uninstalling Edge and reapplying it. I also wiped out the PC to see if it fixes it. It seems to follow the Roaming Profile, I can open it as a local admin. I would like to push out the latest version but it seems to break stuff. 

Windows 10

Version 1703

OS Build 15063.332

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:03 PM

All replies

• Do you have problem with other apps?

Do you have problem with Internet Explorer?

Make sure report this through Feedback Hub.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:52 PM
  • Hi,

Have you got any error messages when Edge crashed?

You can try the following methods and check the result.

Method 1:

Run the apps troubleshooter and check if it helps with the issue. Refer to the following article and run the Apps troubleshooter:

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/69e76f90-d54c-44cf-9851-c2d1542790db/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption.  SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

1.Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).

2.In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 3:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

1.Go to Settings.

2.Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.

3.Select Add an Account.

4.Enter a user name and hit Next.

5.Click on Finish.

6.Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.

7.Check if issue persists.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:06 AM
  • Internet Explorer works great, and all other applications just Edge.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 7:46 PM
  • I have not received any errors. It loads up for a second then crashes with no error codes. I tried method 2 and for method 3 it will work for the local account but not my account. I'm a roaming profile in a domain.I'm not the admin of my PC.
    Friday, June 9, 2017 7:50 PM
  • crashes with no error codes.
    Use ProcMon to find out what is happening.  However, in this case I would also check Reliability Monitor and System Information Windows Error Reporting.  "crashes with no error codes" is contradictory or at best a misuse of the term "crashes".

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, June 10, 2017 2:55 PM
  • "" I also wiped out the PC""

What did you mean by wiped out?

Have you performed an in place upgrade for windows 10 version 1703 with a windows 10 iso?

If not create a windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This should perform and in place repair saving files, applications, settings etc.

Power on and open file explorer > click on the USB drive with the windows 10 iso

Click on the setup application

You will see Windows preparing %.

On the windows 10 setup:

Then click not right now for to download and install updates.

Checking your pc

We're getting a few things ready.

Accept licensing terms.

Making sure you're ready to install

Making sure your PC has enough space

Ready to install

Install windows 10 pro

Keep personal files and apps

Choose what to keep and keep personal files and apps or keep personal files only or nothing.

Install

See if an in place upgrade fixes Microsoft Edge crashing problem.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Sunday, June 11, 2017 12:28 AM
  • When I open Edge it loads for a second that closes out.

This is the system Event Viewer:

The access history in hive \??\C:\Users\dwelge\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Settings\settings.dat was cleared updating 3 keys and creating 1 modified pages

No errors in the Application Logs

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:39 PM
  • %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\Settings\settings.dat

In my case that file is old.  There are  Settings.dat.LOG1 and .LOG2 which are current.   Also a Roaming.Lock   All with the same timestamp.

Again, I would be using ProcMon to find out what this really means.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 15, 2017 2:52 PM
  • What I meant by wiping a did a full restore of windows 10 version 1703 on this PC. Which I had to reinstall all my applications on it.
    Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:06 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with Edge (opens for several seconds and then closes with no errors, although it does generate a crash dump file).  I'm currently running version 1703 build 15063.413.

Methods 1 and 2 did not help, and method 3 is illustrative of how some consider user profiles disposable.  All of the weird issues I've seen with Windows 10 on various PCs point back to a [corrupt] user profile, and re-creating one is not always trivial.  I wish that there was a way to scan/repair user profiles, and that they weren't so fragile under Windows 10.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 3:22 PM
  • method 3 is illustrative of how some consider user profiles disposable. 

Here's an intermediate one.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fdda0835-0050-4fc3-a823-692b8c4a3f4d/microsoft-edge-reset-the-default-settings?forum=win10itprogeneral 

(BING search for
        reset edge powershell site:microsoft.com
    )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:56 PM
  • method 3 is illustrative of how some consider user profiles disposable. 

Here's an intermediate one.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fdda0835-0050-4fc3-a823-692b8c4a3f4d/microsoft-edge-reset-the-default-settings?forum=win10itprogeneral 

(BING search for
        reset edge powershell site:microsoft.com
    )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks Robert, I had found that thread previously and did the steps (which I also repeated today), and it doesn't solve the problem for me.  The steps do complete successfully.

This PC has two other user accounts, and Edge works in both of those, so I know it's related to my user profile.  I don't use Edge outside of Cortana links (which is also rare for me), so not a burning issue that I'm motivated to fix by blowing away my profile.

Friday, June 23, 2017 4:53 PM
  • closes with no errors, although it does generate a crash dump file

There's that contradiction again.  Did you look for some details in Reliability Monitor?  Also, if it is an APPCRASH you may find in its related .WER file a list of the loaded modules.  Also, I'm sure there will be appropriate diagnostic traces but I just don't know what they would be.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 23, 2017 5:57 PM
  • closes with no errors, although it does generate a crash dump file

There's that contradiction again.  Did you look for some details in Reliability Monitor?  Also, if it is an APPCRASH you may find in its related .WER file a list of the loaded modules.  Also, I'm sure there will be appropriate diagnostic traces but I just don't know what they would be.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Indeed Reliability Monitor lists the crashes; the details look like this:

Description
    Faulting Application Path:    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:    MoBEX
    Package Full Name:    Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name:    praid:MicrosoftEdge
    Application Version:    11.0.15063.332
    Application Timestamp:    591fdaf0
    Fault Module Name:    EMODEL.dll
    Fault Module Version:    11.0.15063.413
    Fault Module Timestamp:    97b4ec41
    Exception Offset:    00000000000eae6c
    Exception Code:    c0000409
    Exception Data:    0000000000000007
    OS Version:    10.0.15063.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID:    1033
    Additional Information 1:    5eab
    Additional Information 2:    5eaba6f95422f2cad1441eda706f1ac6
    Additional Information 3:    c835
    Additional Information 4:    c835a3f35c70bba5df935a2824b711aa

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:    e738d6d9868aad373231a911d3ef7d84 (133509768743)

There are several other support articles describing this problem (at least one of which you participated in), but most notably where this issue started with build 1703.  Suggestions of various Powershell commands are given for attempts to reset things, but not bearing fruit, leaving the seemingly only remaining option of nuking the impacted user profile.

Friday, June 23, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Indeed Reliability Monitor lists the crashes; the details look like this:

Description
    Faulting Application Path:    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

I hadn't noticed before that this is the main Edge task that is crashing.  I think I had been assuming that EMODEL.dll might have more to do with a tab task.  (I don't know why.)

Problem signature

Package Full Name:    Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe

This is the same Stack Overflow symptom.  In my case I was getting an unsatisfied page fault in that module at a different offset.

That OS Version looks strange.  I guess we are supposed to assume it is some weird representation of 10.0.15063.413.  Also, my Reliability Monitor items don't list OS Version at all?  OTOH I haven't seen a MoBEX.

So, seeing that it is the main task that is crashing, it may be less useful to do this test but it could still help isolate where in the processing it is happening:   

Run...  explorer.exe  microsoft-edge:// 

Note the trailing // which makes Edge do its equivalent of IE's -NoHome action.  No other Edge task can be running when you try this for it to have the desired effect.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 23, 2017 11:04 PM
  • Thanks Robert,

When I launch Edge using that method, here is what happens:

• The Edge window opens with no page (expected)
    • The search/address bar is there and lets me type things in it, although entering URLs or anything else don't actually "take" (nothing happens after pressing Enter)
    • After about ten seconds, the prompt to make Edge my default browser appears at the bottom of the window with the "Change my default" and "Don't ask again" buttons, although the buttons don't respond to clicks
    • The menu objects in the top-right are responsive, and some things work (as an example, I can click Settings and change themes between Light and Dark)
    • Regardless of what I click or don't, the Edge window disappears a few seconds after the default browser prompt appears
    • Entries appear in Reliability Monitor for each MoBEX event, like this:

Description

Problem signature
    Additional Information 1:    9b9d
    Additional Information 2:    9b9d100f8ff38c987628363e1a905775
    Additional Information 3:    8105
    Additional Information 4:    810544c9820f17fafa54cff1965463af

Bucket ID:    e738d6d9868aad373231a911d3ef7d84 (133509768743)

I should also mention, I do have other entries in Reliability Monitor for a few other things, and two of them don't contain OS information, while another one does (APPCRASH of the Cisco AnyConnect vpnui.exe)
    • Edited by __Jim__ Sunday, June 25, 2017 12:57 AM
    Sunday, June 25, 2017 12:52 AM
  • The search/address bar is there and lets me type things in it, although entering URLs or anything else don't actually "take" (nothing happens after pressing Enter)

I could have given a hint about that.  I click on New tab.  That frees up the UI.  So at least now we know that the crash can be delayed.  Progress?   ; )

I wasn't sure if you could change Settings from the "NoHome" state.  So that means you could change your Home page and New tab URL before actually having to try using them.  That could make a difference if the crash requires connectivity to happen.

If there is enough time after the prompt appears it might be interesting to know if there are Edge tab tasks.  My impression was that they only appeared when I clicked on the New tab button.  FWIW I use PowerShell for a simple check:   Get-Process *Edge*   But when I saw what task was crashing I wondered if tab tasks would be involved at all.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, June 25, 2017 2:02 AM
  • Clicking the new tab plus sign does nothing while Edge is responsive; I changed the settings to be "Open Microsoft Edge with New tab page," and "Open new tabs with A blank page."

That PowerShell command displays (while Edge running):

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Process *Edge*

Handles  NPM(K)    PM(K)      WS(K)     CPU(s)     Id  SI ProcessName
    -------  ------    -----      -----     ------     --  -- -----------
        872      63    32588      66472       0.55  23656   6 MicrosoftEdge
        669      31    21500      44036       0.27  12728   6 MicrosoftEdgeCP

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Monday, June 26, 2017 1:42 PM
  • Have you tried to reset Edge? If not please try it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/237527/how-to-reset-microsoft-edge-in-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by bobsully Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:34 PM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:09 AM
  • I have the same issue of Edge opening and then closing.  I have tracked it down to a number of registry entries missing.  Any idea how to restore the reg entries.  I have removed and re-installed Edge but the registry entries are still missing.
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:24 PM
  • I have the same issue of Edge opening and then closing.  I have tracked it down to a number of registry entries missing.  Any idea how to restore the reg entries.  I have removed and re-installed Edge but the registry entries are still missing.

How did you track it down to registry entries missing?  Process Monitor?

Do you have MoBEX entries in Reliability Monitor?

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:18 PM
  • I just eyeballed the registry entries from a PC that is working with the one that fails. Right off the bat there is no Main entry in the registry of the failing PC.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:33 PM
  • no Main entry in the registry of the failing PC.

Looks like there has been no customization done?  Try some and see if that creates some settings in there?  Note that Jim has already shown that you can do Settings while Edge is in its "NoHome" state.  Do this with ProcMon running in case your symptom means that for some reason settings cannot be saved.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:54 PM
  • Additionally, problems in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT wouldn't explain why the problem only exists for certain users (profiles).  I believe it's safe to assume that the problem is some sort of registry "corruption" in the HKCU tree, and so far my attempts to nuke those prior to an Edge reset haven't changed behavior.
    • Edited by __Jim__ Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:37 AM spelling
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:27 PM
  • Robert,  Edge does not stay open long enough to customize any settings. I was thinking of exporting the reg settings from a working PC and importing into the failing PC, but the user does not have the time.  Perhaps latter.
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:52 PM
  •  I was thinking of exporting the reg settings from a working PC and importing into the failing PC, but the user does not have the time.  Perhaps latter.
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 7:52 PM
  • I tried setting Homepages via GPO; but it does not change the behaviour of Edge;
    It still crashes after +/- 20-30 seconds; I can change settings in the settings menu, some advanced settings; but none of them fix the Application Hang

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: MoBEX
    Package Full Name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Application Name: praid:MicrosoftEdge
    Application Version: 11.0.15063.0
    Application Timestamp: 58ccbc85
    Fault Module Name: EMODEL.dll
    Fault Module Version: 11.0.15063.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00d0adc7
    Exception Offset: 00000000000ea8ec
    Exception Code: c0000409
    Exception Data: 0000000000000007
    OS Version: 10.0.15063.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1043
    Additional Information 1: 5eab
    Additional Information 2: 5eaba6f95422f2cad1441eda706f1ac6
    Additional Information 3: 304f
    Additional Information 4: 304f6242e7bb69c4518f18f92eaf84e6

Bucket ID: bdc7ed563f2aa1742973d2b071696381 (133475844913)

These are the events logged every time Edge hangs/CTD's

Also,

Opening edge using Win+R Microsoft-edge://bing.com doesn't load the page, it still shows a gray screen with an address bar

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Robert,  Edge does not stay open long enough to customize any settings.

Did you try starting it the way I suggested?   microsoft-edge://  those trailing // are critical.  If you don't use them you will get a tab task so then more chance of being in the state in which the crash occurs.  Also, another poster is claiming that only InPrivate browsing tasks are crashing, so that would be something else to experiment with.  Unfortunately I don't think Edge has a command line analog to IE's -private switch.  One reason for trying it is that the only tab it would open would be local.  No networking forced without relying on Edge Settings.

Heh.  I just started one via right-click on the Edge Taskbar button.  Somehow that gets done without a Command line difference?  And as a new MicrosoftEdgeCP task under the same MicrosoftEdge task!  WTH?  I'll have to trace this with ProcMon.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:08 PM
  • I thought that maybe the cumulative update released yesterday might help (the https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022716/windows-10-update-kb4022716).  Nope; still happening.

Description

Problem signature
    Application Version:    11.0.15063.447
    Application Timestamp:    5948acf2
    Fault Module Version:    11.0.15063.447
    Fault Module Timestamp:    d24e0f5b
    Exception Offset:    00000000000eaf5c
    Additional Information 3:    ed40
    Additional Information 4:    ed406bc8c6567e5714f4676596ee1dd2

Bucket ID:    9ed57c251e4393dfd45b9b7211db54b1 (133518816635)

Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:52 AM
  • See if this can fix the Edge problems:

Find a flash drive that you can format.

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Power on your computer.

Insert the bootable windows 10 iso into any USB port.

Open file explorer.

Click this PC and find the USB windows 10 iso.

Open up the windows 10 iso from within file explorer and locate the setup or setup.exe folder/file.

Launch this file.

On the pop up look in the left lower corner and perform and in place upgrade repair.

Choose to upgrade now or later.

Choose to save files and applications.

When this in place upgrade repair finishes check the performance of the Edge browser.

This is a link with text and images on performing the in place upgrade repair:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Thursday, June 29, 2017 4:23 AM
  • Clicking the new tab plus sign does nothing while Edge is responsive; I changed the settings to be "Open Microsoft Edge with New tab page," and "Open new tabs with A blank page."

I thought I was actually using  Open with specific page  about:blank  but tried your combination too.  I say this because I found today I was actually using Previous pages (the default) and my NoHome idea was not working!

That PowerShell command displays (while Edge running):

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-Process *Edge*

Handles  NPM(K)    PM(K)      WS(K)     CPU(s)     Id  SI ProcessName
    -------  ------    -----      -----     ------     --  -- -----------
        872      63    32588      66472       0.55  23656   6 MicrosoftEdge
        669      31    21500      44036       0.27  12728   6 MicrosoftEdgeCP

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I have not been able to match this result with any set of options.  Once I get a New tab (or open Edge normally) I have at least 2 tab tasks.  I wonder if you getting only 1 is significant.  More importantly, I have discovered that my  "NoHome"  idea only works with certain settings but one of them is yours.  In particular unfortunately it does not seem to work with the default of Previous pages.

Heh.  And now even with Previous pages  Edge NoHome  is working for me as I had thought it would always for everyone.  No tab tasks, only an Edge task.  Consistency?

So, please clarify if you see a tab task immediately after starting "Edge NoHome" with your settings.  Also, considering how inconsistent this UI is turning out to be, please try using the Ctrl-t alternative to clicking on the New tab button too.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 29, 2017 1:05 PM
  • See if this can fix the Edge problems:

Find a flash drive that you can format.

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Power on your computer.

Insert the bootable windows 10 iso into any USB port.

Open file explorer.

Click this PC and find the USB windows 10 iso.

Open up the windows 10 iso from within file explorer and locate the setup or setup.exe folder/file.

Launch this file.

On the pop up look in the left lower corner and perform and in place upgrade repair.

Choose to upgrade now or later.

Choose to save files and applications.

When this in place upgrade repair finishes check the performance of the Edge browser.

This is a link with text and images on performing the in place upgrade repair:

Thanks, I performed an in-place "upgrade" using the media creation tool (much easier) last night.  I was open to this suggestion since it does not blow away user profiles.

After the long process, the Edge problem remains for my user account. When I first launched Edge, I was able to change settings and answer the question for it not to be the default browser successfully, but then it closed soon after.

This is more proof that the problem resides in the user profile (Edge continues to work for the other accounts on the same computer), and suggests that the Windows upgrade process does not perform intensive profile validation. IMO that's what is ultimately needed.

Curiously, the entries in Reliability Monitor for the Edge crashes were different [in format] right after the upgrade, vs. now.

Right after the upgrade:

Description
    Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0x5948acf2
    Faulting module name: EMODEL.dll, version: 11.0.15063.447, time stamp: 0xd24e0f5b
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000eaf5c
    Faulting process id: 0x4420
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2f0a76e3bd7d0
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\EMODEL.dll
    Report Id: 26771d01-5f7f-4ad6-8d4c-9722eb8c56b9
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_40.15063.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: MicrosoftEdge

Now:

Description

Problem signature
    Application Version:    11.0.15063.447
    Application Timestamp:    5948acf2
    Fault Module Version:    11.0.15063.447
    Fault Module Timestamp:    d24e0f5b
    Exception Offset:    00000000000eaf5c
    Additional Information 3:    ed40
    Additional Information 4:    ed406bc8c6567e5714f4676596ee1dd2

Bucket ID:    9ed57c251e4393dfd45b9b7211db54b1 (133518816635)

• Edited by __Jim__ Friday, June 30, 2017 2:37 AM spelling
    Friday, June 30, 2017 2:36 AM
  • So, please clarify if you see a tab task immediately after starting "Edge NoHome" with your settings.  Also, considering how inconsistent this UI is turning out to be, please try using the Ctrl-t alternative to clicking on the New tab button too.

Yes, the single tab task is there immediately after starting and remains that way; pressing ctrl-t does nothing (nor introduces more child processes).

I tried this on a work computer, and it has the single Edge main process after launch (no children). If I click in the search bar or open a tab, several CPs appear.

Friday, June 30, 2017 2:45 AM
  • Yes, the single tab task is there immediately after starting and remains that way; pressing ctrl-t does nothing (nor introduces more child processes).

Thanks for confirming that that is only for the anomalous case.  Presumably it may mean something to the code owner.

What about the InPrivate Browsing idea?  Any differences from it?  Unfortunately I don't know how to create the equivalent of   -private  -nohome  (in IE command line switch terms) for  Edge.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 30, 2017 4:37 AM
  • Like many of you I have the same problem. I do not have an answer but my experience may help others get to the bottom of this.

I upgraded to 1703 and all went well for a couple of months, then after an update Edge hit the problem reported here. After hunting the net I did scf, reload app, change access rights in registry, new user account and hunting of error logs; all to no success.

Not trusting MS to do a faultless upgrade I took a system image before upgrading to 1703 on. I have now restored the system to 1607 all worked perfect. I now do the upgrade again to 1703 only to find Edge has now gone straight to the non working state again.

As a flagship product I am surprised that Microsoft do not see this as high priority to resolve. In the mean time all we can do is thank the computer gods (Google and Godzilla) for saving us.

Friday, June 30, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Robert-

I tried the command explorer.exe  microsoft-edge:// and was able to open a blank page of Edge. I was able to add our corporate homepage, but I cannot open anything else. I can't even get anything to load on a new tab. I tried to go to google.com, and msn.com, it just sit's there and spins acting like it is doing something. I tried to compare registry settings with a Local User Account to a Roaming User Account, there wasn't much there. What would be the next step? 

Friday, June 30, 2017 12:34 PM
  •  can't even get anything to load on a new tab.

Was that after clicking on the New tab button (or pressing Ctrl-t) or were you just assuming it might do something useful when you try to enter something once you had a window which wouldn't disappear right away?  As we have noted, it doesn't; it doesn't even remember anything about what we have tried typing.

So, since you have successfully used the Settings to change something, it seems reasonable to think that the registry branch that cemorgan found could be where it gets deposited.  I was actually imagining that making just one change might result in the full population of an empty settings collection.  Is that the case?  Otherwise I would be using ProcMon to try to figure out where it actually goes instead.  Also, until we know what is causing the crash I would use about:blank as a Home page instead of one which would involve networking.

Also, does the InPrivate Browsing window open any better for you?  A related case that might be interesting to check is starting InPrivate Browsing while a regular Edge session window is in the NoHome state.  E.g. since the same Edge task is involved, it would be more implication that the creation of a tab task could be causing the crash.

Another thing you could do with ProcMon is compare how the process and thread events work.  I didn't think of this when discussing with Jim that he sees a tab task when we normally don't when starting a NoHome test.  That would be one way of seeing how it happens and compare with a normal system.  The great thing about ProcMon is that even if you are only filtering coarsely like that you can always remove the filter when you find an interesting discrepancy that you would like to investigate in more detail.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, June 30, 2017 4:16 PM
  • What about the InPrivate Browsing idea?  Any differences from it?  Unfortunately I don't know how to create the equivalent of   -private  -nohome  (in IE command line switch terms) for  Edge.
    No change when right-clicking the Edge icon and launching a new InPrivate window.
    Friday, June 30, 2017 11:42 PM
  • Perhaps a virus? 360 Total Security reported that to me...
    Sunday, July 2, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Found it. On my end, it was Trusteer. I went to uninstall it, and instead "Stopped" it from the control panel that appeared. After entering the captcha, it stopped, and I could use Edge.

Definitely look for third-party interference folks... the more I use adblock, the more I wonder why I bother with any other security software than the stuff Windows provides out of the box. And here I reset all my Edge settings for nothing...

For the record, the version of Trusteer I had installed was 3.5.1804.112 according to the Control Panel Apps & Features window. Googling says this version was released early June.
    • Edited by Louis St-Amour Monday, July 3, 2017 4:30 AM
    • Proposed as answer by zingy09 Wednesday, July 26, 2017 4:03 PM
    Monday, July 3, 2017 4:27 AM
  • We are suffering the same issue - roaming profiles domain joined machines - as soon as we update to Creators Update, Edge just crashes on opening.

One thing we discovered when trying to fault find - if you right click a PDF file and open with edge,  Edge opens ok, then you can open new tabs and use Edge normally.

As others have mentioned this problem is related to roaming/domain profiles, local accounts do not have this issue.

We have reverted back all the machines.

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:42 PM
  • I was able to open EDGE without crashing by doing a RUN> microsoft-edge://

Edge would stay open, but would not respond to any input.  Once I ran the Microsoft-edge:// EDGE would continue to open and stayed open.

I did find a trouble shooting procedure on an HP site, but I have not had a chance to try it. It seems to concerned with Reg entries permission. I have a strong feeling that the problems is somewhat in the Domain Group Policy, but have not tracked it down. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04649091

I was also going to try a F12 to see if there is anything obvious, but again I have not had the time.

Monday, July 10, 2017 5:14 PM
  • We are suffering the same issue - roaming profiles domain joined machines - as soon as we update to Creators Update, Edge just crashes on opening.

One thing we discovered when trying to fault find - if you right click a PDF file and open with edge,  Edge opens ok, then you can open new tabs and use Edge normally.

As others have mentioned this problem is related to roaming/domain profiles, local accounts do not have this issue.

We have reverted back all the machines.

The PDF trick does not work for me - Edge opens (does not display the PDF) and does not respond to new tabs, and closes within 30 seconds.

My problem computer/account is Windows 10 Pro with an account associated with my MSA (no domain).  FWIW I administer 15 Windows 10 Enterprise (Version 1703 build 15063.447) VMs which are domain-joined (but not using roaming profiles), and the Edge problem is not occuring on any of those.

I'm convinced the problem has something to do with the user profile, but not necessarily tied to that profile being a domain profile or a roaming profile.

Monday, July 10, 2017 6:30 PM
  • I'm convinced the problem has something to do with the user profile, but not necessarily tied to that profile being a domain profile or a roaming profile.

Wait for tomorrow ("patch Tuesday")?   Otherwise, please try my suggestion for comparing Process and Thread events for two otherwise identical ProcMon traces.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, July 10, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Found it. On my end, it was Trusteer. I went to uninstall it, and instead "Stopped" it from the control panel that appeared. After entering the captcha, it stopped, and I could use Edge.

Definitely look for third-party interference folks... the more I use adblock, the more I wonder why I bother with any other security software than the stuff Windows provides out of the box. And here I reset all my Edge settings for nothing...

For the record, the version of Trusteer I had installed was 3.5.1804.112 according to the Control Panel Apps & Features window. Googling says this version was released early June.

OMG I must have missed Louis' reply about Trusteer.  I also had version 3.5.1804.112 (installed on June 29th) - as soon as that was uninstalled, Edge started working properly.

I just left some nasty feedback via their "why did you uninstall this" web site.

Monday, July 10, 2017 8:30 PM
  • So I just rebooted and re-installed Trusteer Endpoint Protection (Rapport), which downloaded version 3.5.1804.112 again.  Edge continues to work, so there must be something that happens when migrating the app data during Win10 upgrades.

I doubt the domain-joined computers have Rapport on them, so likely multiple causes for these problems.

Monday, July 10, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Well done to Louis for spotting about Trustee. I have just uninstalled 3.5.1804.112 and Edge is back in business. Like Jim I have left a not so plesent message on the IBM web site. Can I suggest that as meany people as possible leave IBM a message so that they might become aware that a problem exists. As for reinstalling Trustee, I will see how things go before taking the plunge.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 7:19 AM
  • I too have the problem of Edge opening for a moment and then closing.  Only affects my domain account and not others on the same PC.  I was hoping that the July cumulative update (KB4025342) might fix things but it was installed last night and no change (currently on OS build 15063.483). 

It's little wonder why Chrome is taking over as the dominate browser.  Come on MS - get your act together and fix this.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Yes the problem has not been resolved in the July updates.

I don't like running 3rd party browsers for our machines - but I may block install Firefox for everyone and remove Edge via powershell for all users.

We had this problem with the Anniversary update which was down to registry permission / folder permissions but this one -  no idea!!

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:36 AM
  • Hello-

I seen multiple reports on Edge crashing after the Creator update and there is no fix. I tried running fix commands, uninstalling Edge and reapplying it. I also wiped out the PC to see if it fixes it. It seems to follow the Roaming Profile, I can open it as a local admin. I would like to push out the latest version but it seems to break stuff. 

Windows 10

Version 1703

OS Build 15063.332

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

seems an issue with no apparent solution as of 7/20/2017.

All solutions posted (App troubleshooter, SFC/scannow, new user account, delete and re-install Edge, change registry keys, etc) have not been successful so far.

Only a handful of users that have Trusteer installed found that it was fixed by uninstalling it, but aside from that, the issue is still open. A clean install of Win10 is what has worked and in most situations, the issue re-emerges when updating to latest version.

I suggest moving to Firefox or other browser, I have found that there is no reason to stay with Edge so far, as all my applications (including some odd-balls as old SAP versions and stuff like that) work with newer browsers. So other than just "tradition", I think it is time to let go of the MS Internet browser and go for the other options.

I believe that enterprises that do not wish to move their user base to other browsers are mostly due to laziness in testing apps or because they are too afraid to deal with other issues, but the time spent in trying to figure out how to fix this specific issue could have been better employed in installing and deploying a new one. :)

Just my two cents.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 7:36 PM
  • new user account

Does that have the same set of empty registry settings which were noted above by cemorgan?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:14 PM
  • new user account

Does that have the same set of empty registry settings which were noted above by cemorgan?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

And additionally, when trying new user accounts, does that also mean a virgin user profile vs. a roaming one?  Because if the problem is related to user profiles (which I believe the evidence still points to), creating new user accounts won't help when using roaming profiles.

I also agree that Edge is mostly dismissable, aside from those things that it can't be peeled away from, such as opening links from Cortana (unless I'm missing a way to override that).

Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:22 PM
  • opening links from Cortana (unless I'm missing a way to override that).

You must be.  I just pressed Ctrl-Esc, typed web browser used by Cortana, pressed Enter  and  BING opened in a new IE window!   (?) The only thing that could justify it being a new window is that IE had deemed it a popup and decided to make it that instead of a new tab.  Otherwise my Tab Settings expect a new tab for everything.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, July 20, 2017 9:40 PM
  • I was about to move to Chrome until I read this comment. Shutting down Trusteer Rapport solved the problem for me too. Thanks!
    Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:04 AM
  • opening links from Cortana (unless I'm missing a way to override that).

You must be.  I just pressed Ctrl-Esc, typed web browser used by Cortana, pressed Enter  and  BING opened in a new IE window!   (?) The only thing that could justify it being a new window is that IE had deemed it a popup and decided to make it that instead of a new tab.  Otherwise my Tab Settings expect a new tab for everything.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

How come bing opened with IE instead of edge?  On two computers edge opens with bing and IE never opens.
    Saturday, July 22, 2017 8:34 AM
  • How come bing opened with IE instead of edge? 

I don't know.  I'm using Edge right now.  I can try tracing it with ProcMon.  When I did the above test instances of both were running.  Now I only have Edge running but still an IE window is opened for that search result.

Here's one possibility though: I hardly ever see Cortana, e.g. the search was really a Taskbar search that filtered down to web results.   Here's what I see with my example.   Type web and see Edge for a suggested match; continue typing browser and see IE; typing after that matches only "See web results" with no clue about how that may be presented.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, July 22, 2017 11:15 AM
  • QFMP:    How come bing opened with IE instead of edge? 

RA:  I can try tracing it with ProcMon. 

Before I do that please check in Internet Options what you have in the Programs tab.  FWIW I have:  Open links in Internet Explorer and Open Internet Explore tiles on the Desktop both presumably in effect but both greyed, so unchangeable that way.  There is a button which purports to allow me to make IE my default browser which is active.  Further, I can follow the Set Programs link to Set Program Access and Computer Defaults on the Custom configuration to see that Internet Explorer is my only choice for doing a reset that way.  However, in Settings  Default Apps Edge is apparently still the default browser.  So it looks like we can still do things the old way but the new way may override some of them for some unclear effects.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:55 PM
  • Processor Monitor Sysinternals I installed but have not yet learned how to use it for troubleshooting.

What are the methods to start using it?

What are some recommended basic tutorial links?

What are some recommended videos or youtube links? 

Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Ok, it's almost a month since we detected that Edge wasn't able to run on 1703. 
    For us, it happens on both Domain users, Local Users, Existing en new Profiles.
    We do not have trusteer installed; in fact: It happens out of the box on a clean install (Microsoft Image, non-OEM bloatware etc). 

Funny thing is, Edge launches and as long as I don't touch it, it stays open. It'll eventually display the Default Browser question, (which I am honestly never gonna set.. but that's another topic). It's been open for 10 minutes now.. and once I click on any buttons; it crashes in +/- 10-20 seconds.

I've tried multiple things now, cleanup; dism checkhealth and repairhealth, sfc scannow, remove the folder and reinstall Edge; Windows updates are up2date, I checked the registry settings to see if the 'old permissions issue' was in play here; all are configured as it should.

Get-Process *edge* only shows one entry. Opening an PDF with edge: the same issue. microsoft-edge:// and microsoft-edge://microsoft.com all open edge, but with a blank page and no responsive UI.

Setting all defaults to edge doesn't fix anything. Hence, resetting all default apps: nope nothing nada.

I checked the process monitor, but it displays quite a lot of access denieds on the internet temp/cookies folders; I set the ALL APPPACKAGES rights to Read on my complete User Profile and also got a few Access Denieds, apparently on Symbolic Links to 'Temporary Internet Files'

[Content]
    'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temporary Internet Files' is not accessible.
    Access is denied.

This is also the case for the 'Application Data' symbolic link. (they are hidden) I don't know if others can confirm this?

===== edit ===

Ok, opening Edge via the Shortcut makes is crash in 10 seconds most; opening edge with the microsoft-edge:// method gives me the result I described above.. running until I touch it.

Friday, July 28, 2017 10:51 AM
  • There has been no input from Microsoft about this.

We have updates deferred and today a few of our machines where again updated to Creators Update - and we again had to roll back.

Is no one else suffering from this - as others have said a clean install of windows 10 with a new domain user has this problem.

The cut & paste response from MS employees of sfc scannow, etc, etc, blah, blah does not fix any issues nor does it fix this specific issue.

Saturday, July 29, 2017 7:33 PM
  • Get-Process *edge* only shows one entry. Opening an PDF with edge: the same issue. microsoft-edge:// and microsoft-edge://microsoft.com all open edge, but with a blank page and no responsive UI.

The fact that you have only one entry is significant and should be a dramatic difference from a normal .PML trace using just  Process & Thread  events  (or Operation Begins with Proc ) as a filter.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, July 30, 2017 11:11 AM
  • I had the same problem. I found if I turn Trusteer Endpoint protection off Edge works perfectly. I have spoken to IBM Trusteer and they are working on a fix.

Latest update 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4032188) contains a fix for this problem.

• Proposed as answer by Crispin Ellisdon Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:09 PM
    • Edited by Evandrouk Saturday, August 5, 2017 9:25 AM
    Sunday, July 30, 2017 8:31 PM
  • There has been no input from Microsoft about this.

We have updates deferred and today a few of our machines where again updated to Creators Update - and we again had to roll back.

Is no one else suffering from this - as others have said a clean install of windows 10 with a new domain user has this problem.

The cut & paste response from MS employees of sfc scannow, etc, etc, blah, blah does not fix any issues nor does it fix this specific issue.

We have exactly the same issue on our Enterprise network.  Very frustrating.  Can I ask how you are rolling back the update?  I thought this wasn't possible.

In the landscape of Spring there is neither better nor worse; The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short.

Monday, July 31, 2017 1:45 AM
  • In setting panel - restore a previous version of windows.

Deferring feature updates on the update settings is not working anymore for the creatores update - and all our machines are now wanting to install.

As it is only Edge causing a problem, I will have to let the computers update to 1703 and then install a 3rd party browser - so everyone can carry on working.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:19 AM
  • There are methods to prevent upgrade from 1607 to 1703.
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 10:22 AM
  • I had the same problem. I found if I turn Trusteer Endpoint protection off Edge works perfectly. I have spoken to IBM Trusteer and they are working on a fix.

Thanks. This has just worked perfectly for me.
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 8:10 PM
  • Hi, I am still using the 1607 AU release, and had to revert from a 1703 CU using a clone copy disk to get back because of this issue. I see that there was a recent Rapport update to 1804.121. Is this the update and fix you asked them about, or is it one that is not out yet?
    Friday, August 4, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Regarding the Trusteer Rapport problem, after removal of version 3.5.1804.112 about a month ago which solved the problem, I re-installed that same version, and Edge continued to work. Rapport is now at version 3.5.1804.121 and Edge is still fine. I suspect that there is something that went haywire for Edge during the Windows upgrade process, related to the user profile being carried over somehow tied to the Rapport pieces of it.

Unfortunately, the Rapport thing is only one cause of this problem, with others continuing to fight it with Rapport not a piece of the puzzle. I've seen multiple "mark as answer" requests regarding the Rapport solution, but since there seem to be multiple causations of this issue, I'm not sure how that should be handled.

Friday, August 4, 2017 2:25 PM
  • Latest update 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4032188) contains a fix for this problem.

Saturday, August 5, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Latest update 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4032188) contains a fix for this problem.

I saw that pop up in WSUS this week, and I read the list of fixed issues, but don't remember seeing anything about Edge in it. Did I miss it? Has anyone confirmed this?

Update: the breakdown is at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032188/windows-10-update-kb4032188

The three Edge-related issues mentioned:

• Addressed issue where the IME pad was not launching correctly in the Microsoft Edge browser for certain markets.
    • Addressed MP4 compatibility issue while playing content from a social media site in Microsoft Edge.
    • Addressed issue where Magnifier Lens users cannot click on buttons or select web content in Microsoft Edge or Cortana results.

Reading through all the issues doesn't lead to a conclusion that the crash issue "should" be fixed, but perhaps it was a side effect of one of these.

• Edited by __Jim__ Saturday, August 5, 2017 4:43 PM spelling/clarity
    Saturday, August 5, 2017 4:24 PM

I Just installed the KB described in your reply, but this did not fix Edge for me
    Monday, August 7, 2017 7:29 AM
  • I agree with Milex - KB4032188 did not fix Edge.

Monday, August 7, 2017 9:58 AM
  • After KB4032188. Uninstall Trusteer Endpoint then re install the latest version. That worked for me
    Tuesday, August 8, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Hi, been having the same problem. I tried several fixes that everybody has been talking about. Then found something on "Trusteer Rapport" IBM software being the problem. I turned this off, hey presto it all works fine.

Only thing now is finding a way to turn it back on. Trusteer on edge no work, Trusteer off edge work.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:57 AM
  • Other apps, including Internet Explorer, work fine for me. I have stopped using Trusteer Rapport, and now Edge works fine.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:57 PM
  • On startup, I get a big error message that I don't understand.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:58 PM
  • I chose to shut off Trusteer Rapport, as it is much easier.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:01 PM
  • I have the same problem after windows update to v1703 edge page shows but will not run! I have seen many people reporting the same issue and some have stated that it is to do with ibm banking app rapport. I have not removed rapport as my bank requires it. I am now using I.E or Google as they run perfect.
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Thanks for that :-) It worked a treat. 
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Stopping Trusteer Rapport also worked for me. Edge now seems to be working properly after installing the Creators Update.
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:26 AM
  • As with others, this problem arose immediately after installing the 1703 update and I fixed in by uninstalling Trusteer Rapport.
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:40 AM
  • Sorted me out too
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 11:55 AM
  • Thanks!  I had the exact same issue, and uninstalling Trusteer fixed it for me.
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Exactly right.  Trusteer IS the problem.  I just stopped/removed Trusteer 3.4.1804.135 (I think) and Edge now flies at incredible speeds.  Pity I had to try all the other crazy solutions first.  Trusteer is a mega-problem.
    Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:39 PM
  • After installing update KB4032188. Uninstall Trusteer Endpoint then re install the latest version. Both Trusteer and edge now work perfectly.
    • Proposed as answer by Evandrouk Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:07 PM
    Monday, August 21, 2017 8:49 AM
  • Brilliant!

have uninstalled and reinstalled trusteed (via edge just in case) an the problem has gone.

Many thanks

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Genius. It was trusteer with me. Turned it off and hey presto, Edge now works
    Wednesday, August 23, 2017 8:12 AM
  • If you have Trusteer security installed, remove it and see if this fixes the problem.
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 4:12 PM
  • We do not use trusteer

and yet Edge is still broken.

in fact, we have no software at all, and Edge is still broken.
    Edge is broken directly after the OOBE phase (which is automated with an unettended.xml), deployed with MDT.
    Edge is broken with both Local and Domain accounts, even with the local administrator account with the UAC flag on.

so, glad that most of you fixed the issue with trusteer which was an answer since a month or 2, Edge is still broken here.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:47 PM
  • You could try verifying that HKCU hive permissions have not been altered. A customer of mine had issues with failing Edge UWP app caused by an LoB application messing around with HKCU hive permissions. You can find more details in my writeup here. You can always use that post as a starting point for your own analysis as it highlights the use of Process Monitor to troubleshoot and fix the issue. Lemme know if you need help with the troubleshooting steps and I will see if I can assist you.

Another workaround is to create a new user account - see KB3064045 - this will accomplish a few things:

• when you log on for the first time user apps will be auto provisioned (you will check if it is somehow related to your provisioned apps)
    • you will also start with a fresh HKCU hive which would rule out any registry permission issues (see my blog post)

Blog - http://www.vacuumbreather.com / http://www.wcsaga.com

Sunday, August 27, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Go to control panel - then 'uninstall a program'. If you see 'Trusteer' listed, uninstall it.

When you run the uninstall, you may get an option to 'Stop' it - that's OK. That worked for me.

Monday, August 28, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Dear Valued Customer,

Kindly note that the issue causing Microsoft Edge latest version to crash / not open has been resolved in our latest configuration. Rapport and Microsoft Edge will now be able to work side by side.

However, please be advised that Microsoft Edge 15 is still not supported by Rapport and you will not be protected while using it to conduct your online banking, in order to be fully protected by Rapport, please use one of our alternatives supported browsers.

In order to resolve the compatibility issue between Microsoft Edge and Rapport, we recommend you to completely uninstall Rapport and re-install it's latest version and configuration using the steps below:

1. Uninstall Rapport using the instructions in the following link: http://www.trusteer.com/support/uninstalling-rapport

2. Once uninstalled, please reboot your PC.

3. Please confirm Rapport has been completely removed using the instructions in the following link: http://www.trusteer.com/support/remove-rapport-folders

Make sure you remove all of Rapport's folders as required. If some folders remain, you might experience trouble when trying to re-install Rapport.

4. Once the folders are deleted, please download Rapport's updated version and check if the issue you have been experiencing is resolved.

You can download Rapport's latest version here: http://www.trusteer.com/support/rapport-installation-links

Kindly note that the steps above will set all of Rapport's policies to their default state.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Sincerely,

Saturday, September 2, 2017 8:30 AM
  • On many PC's I've had a problem where Edge started with a blank page and hang...I've found a solution by doing:

deleting the content:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache,

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache 

and the file  C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

From the Administrator account before adding a new user...(hidden and system files...must be unticked)

Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:14 PM
  • On many PC's I've had a problem where Edge started with a blank page and hang...I've found a solution by doing:

deleting the content:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache,

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache 

and the file  C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

From the Administrator account before adding a new user...(hidden and system files...must be unticked)

Saturday, September 2, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Thanks to your post I 'stopped' Trusteer and now everything is working normally. I had tried various suggestions to no avail but everything is okay now.
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:59 AM
  • Thanks Louis St-Amour - Edge had ceased to function on my machine too until I uninstalled Trusteer as per your experience.  Now I'm back to full functionality! Thanks!
    Thursday, September 7, 2017 11:33 AM
  • This has been very helpful when I encountered the same problem with my edge browser. Thanks for your post!
    Saturday, September 9, 2017 5:37 AM
  • Tried 1 and 2 didn't work.

Tried 3 created new user restarted pc and tried logging on with new user.

Typed the password hit enter the screen changed to welcome then logged out!

any suggestions welcome.

Scannow gives no errors.

Thanks in advance

Running WIN10-1703

15063.540 64bit

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:25 PM
  • THANK YOU LOUIS.
    • Edited by Don.A Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:54 PM To add the name.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2017 11:53 PM
  • Hello, I had an issue where WIN10 Pro was OK after the well reported deletion or rename of the user folder for the Edge app, followed by the Powershell install from the manifest XML, yet the same thing failed on a laptop with WIN10 Home. It turned out that ANOTHER EDGE FIX was appropriate in that instance (Apparrently an IE Spartan reg key did not get migrated after an update):

See rafaeljsc's Youtube video (link below for reference). His video includes one important step that the others do not which is the command below for the addition of a specific registry key:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

The above needs to be done using the Admin CMD prompt (see that via right-click of the Start Menu Icon at botom left), just cut/paste the whole line in there, and press enter/return key.

Alternatively, you can follow the step by step instructions in rafaeljsc's video here:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho1G088NoHk
    • Proposed as answer by Charlie141 Monday, September 18, 2017 6:43 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 1:29 PM
  • This worked for me.  No need to run CMD as admin though
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:29 AM
  • The video says it is unavailable.
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Spot on.. Trusteer is the culprit. As much as I want to use Trusteer, it keeps causing issues. Earlier, it used to fail to run each time the browser updated and then I had to reinstall/update Trusteer and now it's causing other applications to fail!! Not very high quality.. @IBM - get your act together

Thanks Louis!

Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:11 AM
  • For many of us, Trusteer is not the problem because we don't have Trusteer installed.   Edge has not worked on my domain account for the last 6 months (not sure the exact timing).  Is anyone from MS actually monitoring this?  When will MS get off there as*es and fix their "premier" browser.
    Monday, September 25, 2017 10:24 PM
  • For many of us, Trusteer is not the problem because we don't have Trusteer installed.   Edge has not worked on my domain account for the last 6 months (not sure the exact timing).  Is anyone from MS actually monitoring this?  When will MS get off there as*es and fix their "premier" browser.

Scott, out of curiosity, did you try the reg hack suggested by td47 above? While my problem was with IBM Trusteer Rapport, I still am following this thread to see if the non-Trusteer issues get resolved. I remain convinced that the problem is "something" corrupted in the user profile (perhaps even the default one), and the challenge is finding "what."
    Monday, September 25, 2017 10:32 PM
  • I would love to know how you uninstalled Edge, I wish I could!

If you can still run Edge:

Firstly make sure you haven't any add-ons installed like AdBlocker, etc.

Press the . . . link at the top right to bring up the main menu and select Extensions.

If you have any Extensions remove them.

Open the main menu again and select Settings.

Select Choose what to clear under Clear browsing data.

Tick everything and then click Clear. Select the Change what Microsoft Edge knows about me in the cloud link. Login and clear any data.

Go back to the Settings menu and select View advanced settings under Advanced settings.  Turn off anything you think unnecessary, don't turn on anything at this stage.

Close Edge.

Go into Windows Settings and select Privacy.

Click the Manage my information that's stored in the cloud link. Clear anything you think is not needed there.

• Edited by NoneAndOne Monday, September 25, 2017 11:20 PM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 11:19 PM
  • The video says it is unavailable.
    I didn't need the video.  I just added the following to my domain users' logon script.  Its fixed everyone that had the problem.  

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

You could also just execute it once from a command prompt.
    • Proposed as answer by Milex Sobos Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:21 AM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 11:24 PM

You're right Scott.  There's definitely more than just the Trusteer problem out there.  On my domain, Edge was broken on all roaming profiles after the creator's update.  Here in this thread though, recently another fix was shared that worked for my domain users.

I just added the following to my domain users' logon script.  It's fixed everyone that had the problem.  

You could also just execute it once from a command prompt for affected users.

• Proposed as answer by Toastpaint Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:02 AM
    Monday, September 25, 2017 11:30 PM

You're right Scott.  There's definitely more than just the Trusteer problem out there.  On my domain, Edge was broken on all roaming profiles after the creator's update.  Here in this thread though, recently another fix was shared that worked for my domain users.

I just added the following to my domain users' logon script.  It's fixed everyone that had the problem.  

Hi Brandon

Can I ask which version of Windows 10 you are running (Enterprise? Professional?).  I tried the above fix on a couple of Enterprise machines and they still have the same problem so I'm wondering if this is perhaps a fix for Professional only?

Thanks

In the landscape of Spring there is neither better nor worse; The flowering branches grow naturally, some long, some short.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:20 AM

Hi Brandon

Can I ask which version of Windows 10 you are running (Enterprise? Professional?).  I tried the above fix on a couple of Enterprise machines and they still have the same problem so I'm wondering if this is perhaps a fix for Professional only?

Thanks

You may be correct.  My domain is all Windows 10 Professional machines.
    • Proposed as answer by it-coordinator Tuesday, October 17, 2017 6:51 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:52 AM
  • Brandon:

Thank you!  The registry entry did fix my problem.

I'm also using Windows 10 Pro.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Thanks all for the discussion on this.  I had the same problem (on both a desktop and laptop PC) after the Windows 10 Creators update.  Wish I had seen the Trusteer comments before - as removing Trusteer has solved the Edge problem on laptop. 

Before that had tried other "solutions" on the desktop (involving deletion of Edge folder in Appdata\Local\Packages and reinstall with Powershell and Get AppX package- except that failed at the last hurdle and now Edge won't even open!  http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/microsoft-edge-not-working-windows-10.html  So for me, this didn't work.).

Surprising that Microsoft have not realised this is a problem for multiple users and issues clearer information on a fix.  But then, maybe not....

Saturday, September 30, 2017 9:49 AM
  • Yes, this helps!!!!!
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:09 AM
  • My edge crash without any warnings after 10-15 seconds. When I disable synchronize with my account its working. But... after all I will not use this browser, sorry
    Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:07 AM
  • I went through a process of on a Windows 10 Professional domain machine running WIndows 10 1703 (when the issue first occurred).

I actually upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 1709 in hopes it would resolve and it did not.

Uninstalled trusteer rapport had same issue.

Added the registry key for spartan and had same issue.

Manually removed Edge from Windows by deleting the following C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe then copied it back from another machine with working edge, same result. 

Performed a repair install, browser reset with same result. 

Removed SEP Device Control only with same result. 

Finally found a thread where someone mentioned in update 1703 an introduction to Control Flow Guard which I suppose may cause conflicts with other software https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/desktop/mt637065(v=vs.85).aspx

In that same thread the user mentioned using Shavlik (now known as Ivanti).

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/14004473/ End of this thread.

I then uninstalled Appsense from this particular computer and Edge is now completely responsive. 

Quote of thread which assisted me, I hope it helps someone:

John M. Oct 16, 2017

Hi Chris M.

Your post set me off on a path that lead me to the resolution. AppSense’s parent company is Ivanti. We deploy an Ivanti Endpoint Device Control client to our workstations.

Once i upgraded the HEAT agent/device control client from v8.3 to the latest (v8.5) Edge works again!

I had previously brushed this aside as the root cause as their (out-of-date) documentation states that W10 is supported, upon contacting their support, turn out that v8.5 is required for W10 1703 Creators Upgrade

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:10 PM
  • Removed Trusteer Rapport and fixed my issue isntantly
    Monday, October 30, 2017 8:36 PM
  • after trying everything (do not have Trusteer) - this worked.

thank you

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:29 PM
  • This worked for me too from command prompt and NOT Run as Administrator (though running as Administrator would work also:

Funny thing is Firefox has stopped working similarly too.  I just get a completely clank screen.  Uninstalled it.  Reinstalled it.  This fix didn't help FF so far.

Also, I have one machine that I just fixed with this, and another one earlier this week I couldn't fix (that I will try this on now) and both are on Windows domains.  Both didn't have Trusteer AFAIK.

UPDATE: I was able to launch FF with C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe -safe-mode and then turn off hardware acceleration and that fixed FF.  I had to do this in each user that I logged in as on the same machine, i.e. Admin and the regular user.

• Edited by boecherer Sunday, November 5, 2017 6:28 AM UPDATE
    • Proposed as answer by Aitrus Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aitrus Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:34 PM
    Sunday, November 5, 2017 5:33 AM
  • @boecherer

We also had this issue on one of our machines with Chrome. Both chrome and Edge and IE were unresponsive. Via event logs I was able to determine after the 1703 update there was a problem with the "Flash Player" which is integrated in Windows 10. I believe Chrome, FF, and IE all pull from that. 

I removed flash completely which resolved the issue for Chrome and IE, but Edge remained unresponsive until removal of appsense. 

Removed flash using a .bat with the following:

takeown /f C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\*.*
    takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\*.*
    cacls C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\*.* /E /T /G %UserDomain%\%UserName%:F
    cacls C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\*.* /E /T /G %UserDomain%\%UserName%:F
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\*.* /Q
    del C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\*.* /Q
    rd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
    rd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash
    rd C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed
    rd C:\Windows\System32\Macromed
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerApp.exe
    del C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

You can't uninstall from the Apps area in control panel, and there is no download to reinstall. 

To reinstall simply backup or copy the above from another computer and it works. 

• Proposed as answer by oly graham Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by oly graham Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 5:39 PM
  • See if IBM Trusteer software is installed - uninstall - do the captcha and select shutdown - because you are actually shutting down their product. Poof - fixed Edge : )
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:10 AM
  • 123 replies so far, something tells me I'm best changing the default browser.

1 minute later-

Wow, that was easy....

Thursday, November 9, 2017 4:49 AM
  • Yep worked for me too.
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 4:00 PM
  • This fixed it for me! I've been experiencing this problem since the Creators Update for Win 10, and it hadn't gone away with the Fall Creators Update either (ie. Win 10 versions 1703 and 1709).

Stopping Trusteer allowed Edge to startup and work properly once more.

Uninstalling and re-installing Trusteer allows me to have Trusteer running and still use Edge (and Chrome) normally. The Trusteer version is Emerald Build 1804.161 (before and after the uninstall & re-install).

Although I am now happily converted to using Chrome (which integrates nicely with my Android phone), I am pleased to have Edge working again for website testing.

Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:34 AM
  • And another sucess.

Stop Truster and Edge; opened with 'explorer.exe  microsoft-edge:// ' which had frozen then continued to load and works fine.

(Just as Internet Explorer 11 stilll does , and I know where all the buttons are and how to control it - unlike Edge!)

Snotty comments left for IBM.

Thanks to all above for hard work.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:07 PM
  • td47's reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f worked for me.  I loaded our mandatory profile hive ntuser.man and added the reg key and it worked!

Thanks!

Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:07 PM
  • I've read through the whole thread to find a solution, but nothing worked for us.

Finally, i've found a solution myself that i would like to share:

We're running a Domain under Win2012R2 without Roaming Profiles, only with some Folder Redirections.

Every new user account wasn't able to start Edge. Always pops up and closes after a few seconds.

I've had Edge Extensions disabled via GPO-Setting 'Allow Extensions' for all users. After bringing this option back to not configured, Edge is back again.

Maybe this could help someone.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:02 AM
  • this did it for me and i´ve had this problem ever since installing the very first upgrade for win 10 after the launch in sommer 2016
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:13 AM
  • Thank you! It worked at last, it is been two years with that problem and getting back to the same old build. Come on Microsoft what are you doing!!!!

As Brandon said no admin needed on CMD

• Edited by rmateor Saturday, February 24, 2018 5:30 PM more info
    Saturday, February 24, 2018 5:29 PM
  • Thank you!  This corrected the quick close I have been enduring.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 12:35 PM
  • Good morning,

To all of you who are still have the issue, the Windows Firewall service may be the cause. These are the steps I followed to make Edge functional again. Note that these steps may not be completely accurate or necessary so adjust as needed:

1. Open the Services MMC (Win key + R -> type "services.msc")

2. Locate "Windows Firewall" and ensure the service is running. If it is not, start the service.

3. After this step, restart your system. Edge should now be functional. If it is not, continue to step four.

4. We will need to re-install Microsoft Edge at this point. Open a Powershell console as Administrator. Now enter the following command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

This resolved my very strange issue on one of the systems I manage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter Derouen

---

tags: windows 10, edge, crash, solved

Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:20 PM