Aero settings have been disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm a sys admin and I'm deploying Windows 7 in our domain with regular users restricted from doing certain things via GPO.  This GPO hasn't changed lately but users have lost all of the aero settings.  The most noticeable thing is that the taskbar preview is a list now, not a thumbnail but the transparency from each window has gone too. 

Personalization settings are disabled, users are forced to have blank wallpaper, the corporate screensaver, sounds off etc.  If I log on as an admin, I get the same issue but I can apply a theme and have everything aero working OK.  When I log back in as the non-admin I still have the same problem, so it's a user setting of some sort.

I've trawled the internet for ideas and ruled out any display settings, I've rerun the Windows Experience Index, tried the Aero troubleshooter, I've added a default theme to the GPO (it wasn't configured before), I've hunted through the registry and tried changing various keys but nothing seems to work.  I have a hunch that it might have been a driver update, but whatever has caused it, I need to get it change back and I need to be able to apply the change to all my users.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Friday, December 9, 2011 5:23 PM

Answers

• This turned out to be a combination of a new graphics driver and a group policy.  The GPO hadn't been a problem before but I ended up having to downgrade the driver AND remove the GPO.
    • Marked as answer by Mungus Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:23 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm if this issue exists in non-domain environment.

Also, it seems this issue occurs to all of Windows 7 clients, how did you deploy Windows 7?

Please check if the following link can help:

Windows Aero Glass visual effects are not working or displayed

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hi Alex,

I'm deploying Win7 using MDT 2010 to apply a fairly thin image and then using group policy to apply most of the configuration, including software installation.  These policies haven't changed in any relevant way of late.

I did a fresh build, created a local admin user then took the laptop out of the domain and logged on as local admin - the aero settings were the same as in the domain i.e. no preview etc.

With the laptop in the domain, I ran the fix utility that you'd linked to and it reported that the Desktop Window Manager was disabled although according to services.msc it's running and automatically starting.  Allowing the utility to fix the problem enabled the thumbnail preview for the logged on user but not for any other users.  It also changed the desktop look and feel to a horrible XP-like appearance with a start button and silver colours.  The fix utility then went on to report that the Desktop Manager was disabled (even though it had tried to fix this) when it was still showing as started and automatic.

Logging on as a different user, I still had the problem so manually restarted the Desktop Windows Manager service - no effect.

I also used Process Monitor to try and find out what the Fix Utility was doing and discovered a script called RS_DWMEnable.ps1.  This seemed to set two HKCU keys and restart the DWM service.  Running it from the command line fixed the issue even though to my eyes the reg keys looked correct in the first place.

Sorry for the long post, but in summary, I have a workaround with this fix utility but I need to resolve the problem centrally for all my users and I can't run the ps1 script as a logon script as they don't have the required privileges to change the registry.

Hope this helps shed some light on the issue.

Mungus

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean your workaround cannot resolve this issue permanently?

Maybe you could refer to the following article:

Using Group Policy to Deploy a Windows PowerShell Logon Script

But from your description, I suspect this is related to the specific image. You may recreate the image for a try.  

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, December 19, 2011 6:22 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mungus Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:59 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:56 AM
  • I have deployed the script as a logon script but it doesn't apply as it runs in the user context and the user doesn't have permission to edit the registry.  The troubleshooter fix is a workaround, but not of any practical use as it won't allow me to "run as" so can only be used for admin accounts.  I need to know what is being broken so that I can put a proper fix in the GPO and apply to all users.

I've rebuilt my image with the older screen drivers.  Now the problem occurs for some users, but not all.  It's really confusing, I'm spending a lot of time on this so I'll come back and post an answer if I ever find one!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 2:02 PM
  • This turned out to be a combination of a new graphics driver and a group policy.  The GPO hadn't been a problem before but I ended up having to downgrade the driver AND remove the GPO.
    • Marked as answer by Mungus Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:23 AM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:23 AM