Move all Replicas From Exchange 03 to 07 fails RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of upgrading to Exchange 2013. Our current Exchange environment consists of an Exchange 2003 Server running on Windows Server 2003 R2 where are public folders are stored, a CAS and two mailbox servers all on Exchange 2007 . We are trying to get rid of the 2003 server so I am running a move all replicas to one of my mailbox servers but when I try it locks up and I get this error message: 

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. 

Facility: Win32 
    ID no: c007274c 
    Exchange System Manager

I looked up the error code but couldn't find anything that helped me. Can someone help??

Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:16 PM

Answers

• You can select each top-level folder, right-click, and select "All Tasks..." and then "Manage settings...". From there, click "Next" and select "Modify lists of replica servers". Select the PF store on the 2007 server. The change will be applied to the folders and all its children.

Or is that what you've been doing? I see the error message cites the "Exchange System Manager" which is a 2003 piece of software. Exchange 2007 uses the "Exchange Management Console".

When you say you're trying to "move all replicas" it looks like you're trying to use the Powershell script "MoveAllReplicas.ps1" in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Scripts on the 2007 server.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:21 AM

All replies

• You are moving your database replicas from an Exchange 2003 server to an Exchange 2007 server?  The only way you can move data from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 is to move the mailboxes - you can't mount an Exchange 2003 database on an Exchange 2007 server.
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:38 PM
  • From what I read online I can move public folders from an Exchange 2003 server to an Exchange 2007 server by following these steps:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/moving-public-folders-from-exchange-2003-to-exchange-server-2007/

but when I do I get the error that I listed above.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:52 PM
  • How have you defined your public folder databases in your Exchange 2007 system?

Also, here are two other links that may be useful:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Transitioning-Exchange-2000-2003-Exchange-Server-2007-Part3.html

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/10/30/447339.aspx

(Note that while the second one is for Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007, it will also work for Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007.)

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:59 PM
  • So right now you have 2003 and 2007 servers in the same Exchange organization (i.e., the same AD forest)?

Do you have a bidirectional routing group connecting the two?

The c007274c is Winsock Timeout Error (WSAETIMEDOUT), which agrees with the text in your posting.

Can you replicate the folder from 2003 to 2007 by adding the 2007 server in the 2003 ESM?

Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:01 PM
  • Yes, like I said before we have one 2003 just running the public folders. I can right click on the public folders and have them replicate to my 2007 MB Servers, but I cannot do a move all replicas.
    Friday, April 4, 2014 1:44 PM
  • You can't move the replica until the one on Exchange 2007 is fully up-to-date.
    Friday, April 4, 2014 2:15 PM
  • All of our 2007 servers are on sp3 update rollup 6, do I need to update to rollup 8 v 2?
    Friday, April 4, 2014 3:04 PM
  • That's not what I mean - all of the data from the Ex2k3 public folder needs to have been delivered and received into the one on Ex2k7 server before you can move the replica.

Friday, April 4, 2014 3:09 PM
  • You can select each top-level folder, right-click, and select "All Tasks..." and then "Manage settings...". From there, click "Next" and select "Modify lists of replica servers". Select the PF store on the 2007 server. The change will be applied to the folders and all its children.

Or is that what you've been doing? I see the error message cites the "Exchange System Manager" which is a 2003 piece of software. Exchange 2007 uses the "Exchange Management Console".

When you say you're trying to "move all replicas" it looks like you're trying to use the Powershell script "MoveAllReplicas.ps1" in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Scripts on the 2007 server.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:21 AM
  • The terminology with public folders is always a bit confusing.

What a "move" of a public folder entails is 1) adding a new replica server to the folder (the "target"), 2) removing the specified replica server from the folder (the "source"), 3) waiting for the folder contents to replicate from the existing public folder instance in the "source" public folder store), 4) waiting for the public folder store holding the "source" instance to receive verification from the "target" instance that it has all of the "source" instance's contents and, 5) only after that verification the "source" instance be removed from the public folder store.

So, when you begin the "move" a folder it may appear (if you look at the folder's properties) that the folder no longer has an instance on the "source" server (because the replica server has been removed), but if you look for the instance of the folder in the source database you'll still see it there until #5 above happens.

Saturday, April 5, 2014 2:37 AM
  • In sort, If you still persist with the same issue, please have a look at this(http://www.exchangemigrationtool.com/) if it helps you to move public folders between two exchange servers.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 8:17 AM