none
Uploading files larger than 2 GB to SharePoint Online (OneDrive for Business) via web interface

Question

• I recently read that SharePoint online and OneDrive for Business supports upload of files larger than 2 GB (up to 10GB) via web upload, however I have been unable to get this to work in most modern browsers. When I try to upload a large file with Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, or Firefox the browser will crash. Uploading does work with Edge and Safari, however we have not deployed Windows 10 in our Enterprise so no one has Edge yet.

Has anyone been able to upload large files with IE, Chrome or Firefox to a SharePoint online or OneDrive for Business site?

Fore reference, here is the article I read about large file upload.

https://blogs.office.com/2016/02/17/auditing-reporting-and-storage-improvements-for-sharepoint-online-and-onedrive-for-business/

Thursday, February 25, 2016 2:24 PM

All replies

• Seems you missed the part where they mention that the changes just started rolling out to O365, and it will take several weeks for the rollout to complete :)
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:12 PM
  • Not really, if you read my description I can upload using Safari and Edge, it just doesn't work in Internet Explorer 11, Chrome, or Firefox.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:14 PM
  • Large files and SharePoint have always had a difficult relationship. It's been able to hold 2GB files for years now but the practical implications of trying to shove that much data into it is difficult. I still don't like the idea of using it for large files, in no small part because it's so slow to get that much data to and from the cloud.

My kneejerk reaction would be to say that the browser based interface isn't going to be your best shot and that you should consider if these huge files are better handled by something like OneDrive For Business (the sync tool). That way it can run in the background.

Have you tried the 'Open with Explorer' view for uploading files?

Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Uploading large files (1 GB+) using a browser typically results in excessive memory usage by the browser and as a result the browser simply stops. This fails on Chrome, Opera, FireFox, Internet Explorer 11, Edge and also latest Safari (OS X).
    The best way to upload large files to SharePoint Online is to use chunked uploads. This allows for the browser to upload a large file in chunks (say 25 MB). Please note that chunked uploads are only supported with SharePoint Online and not SharePoint 2013.
    The above method has been used in the tool SLIM Companion (www.slimapplications.com) and works well up to 10 GB.

Monday, March 14, 2016 12:54 PM