none
Domain user account won't auto-login after a BSOD; must log in as admin first

Question

• SETUP

I have a small domain of computers and a couple user accounts.  Each of these user accounts areconfigured as autologin on many different computers (e.g. the account "user1" will autologin on five different computers).  The auto-login is configured in the registry, the profile is on a network share, the profile is mandatory.  Generally, everything with this setup works fine.

PROBLEM

Occasionally, the computers will get a BSOD.  The particular driver/cause of the BSOD varies, but regardless of this, the behavior is always this: the computer blue-screens, then next time the computer powers on and it attempts to autologin to the previously mentioned domain user account, Windows displays an error message saying:

"The User Profile Service service failed the log on. User profile cannot be loaded."

The only fix is to then log in as an administrator (either a local admin or domain admin) and close out a dialog box that pops up saying:

"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown"

There are two options given, "Check for Solution" and "Cancel".  Clicking on either of these options (or just X'n out of the window completely) and rebooting the computer then lets the domain account autologin.

Possible Fix?

It seems as if the computer is forcing an administrator to acknowledge that there was a blue screen before it lets any non-admin account log on to the computer.

Is there some setting/configuration that controls this behavior?  How can I allow any user to log on to the computer after a BSOD, regardless of if they are an administrator or not?

::edit:: I do have images that I can include, but the forums presently will not let me attach images (I'm told it's to prevent spam?), hopefully it will be resolved quickly and I can include the screenshots.

• Edited by -silent- Monday, November 27, 2017 6:38 PM
    Monday, November 27, 2017 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there any error message when you try to use standard user account log on PC?

Please check if there is any event created in Event Viewer.

Please check if the "Do not logon users with temporary profiles" Group Policy setting is enable. (Open Group Policy -> Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles -> in the right plane, find and double click Do not logon users with temporary profiles)

Here is a link about the problem for your reference.

You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon” error message:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947215/you-receive-a-the-user-profile-service-failed-the-logon-error-message

And you could upload the screenshots onto OneDrive and share link here.

Note: If the screenshots contain your privacy information, please hide the information. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:19 AM
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 5:16 AM
  • Hi, 

Hows everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 30, 2017 7:00 AM