none
exchange for a AD domain and a subdomain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using a single domain, company.com with an Exchange server 2007 working fine. Domain for email accounts is also company.com

Now I have to use the same Exchange server for a new división, let's say newdivision.com with emails like user@newdivision.com

Some of the accounts and users are the same, so I cannot use the first Domain and add accounts and use them in the Exchange server with a different email domain. I thought of creating a subdomain in the AD, let's say newdivision.company.es and let our Exchange server work with email addresses like user@newdivision.com for that subdomain. I think this is posible.

I made a test enviroment and try to set it all up, but once domain and subdomain are set up and I try to create email accounts, I cannot select an users from the subdomain, the only domain I can get users from is the primary one, company.com

I am not sure I set a correct DNS configuration, and that is the reason I cannot see users in the subdomain. How Do I know DNS configuration is right? In case I have set uit up correctly, should I bring any configuration to Exchange server in order to be able to select users from the AD subdomain?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards, David.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:24 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

From your description you would like to have an additional email address with the suffix @newdivision.com for the exchange recipients and at the same time your are having an existing email address suffix @company.com for all the exchange objects.

Step 1: Just add the domain newdivision.com in the exchange accepted domain list.

Step 2: Then create a new email address policy for the domain newdivision.com

step 3: Make sure the exchange objects will have option EmailAddressPolicyEnabled is set to true .

step 4:If you need , In dns just create a zone for newdivision.com for name resolution . 

Reference Link : http://moonstarit.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/email-address-policy-on-exchange-2013/

Note : If you wanted to have the newly created policy to be applied only to particular recipients , you can create  rule on the email address policy.

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Thanks & Regards S.Nithyanandham

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by ave_int_hotmail.com Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

From your description you would like to have an additional email address with the suffix @newdivision.com for the exchange recipients and at the same time your are having an existing email address suffix @company.com for all the exchange objects.

Step 1: Just add the domain newdivision.com in the exchange accepted domain list.

Step 2: Then create a new email address policy for the domain newdivision.com

step 3: Make sure the exchange objects will have option EmailAddressPolicyEnabled is set to true .

step 4:If you need , In dns just create a zone for newdivision.com for name resolution . 

Reference Link : http://moonstarit.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/email-address-policy-on-exchange-2013/

Note : If you wanted to have the newly created policy to be applied only to particular recipients , you can create  rule on the email address policy.

Please feel free to reply me if you have any queries .

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by ave_int_hotmail.com Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:08 AM

• hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I have done steps 1, I don't think it imperative to use address policies, as there will be very few email accounts, but I will consider it in case this number grows up.

I have modified the scope in which I can look for recipients to search in the whole forest, and I can now select a user from the domain newdivision.company.com, and créate its mailbox.

If now I try to log in to owa, I find an error when I try to logon, I logon with a valid user user@newdivision.comoany.com and I find an error reporting "could not find any available Domain controller in domain DC=newdivision, DC=company, DC=com"

I suppose I need to check my DNS configuration, Am i right? do you know of any documentation/manuals I could use?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

David.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:45 AM
  • Hi ,

Error seems like there is a communication problem between the domain controller and the exchange server .

1. Please check the name resolution part from exchange servers as well as on dc.----> nslookup

2.Please check the health of the dc .------>dcdiag

3.Please check the event logs on DC and exchange servers.

4.Try to configure that same account in outlook and check whether you are facing the same issue or not.

Regards

S.Nithyanandham

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:07 AM