SharePoint Upgrades from 2007 and 2010 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Just to clarify an upgrade procedure.

There are two separate environments hosting SharePoint for the company:

1. SharePoint 2007 with 2003 SQL Express

2. SharePoint 2010 with SQL 2008 R2

Currently, there database is roughly 20GBs and wants to migrate both environments to SharePoint 2016 and not 2013.

There are hardly any customization done to the environments except for minor workflows. However, for the second 2010 environment documents are named in a particular order.

To quickly summarize my approach I would say and please advise me otherwise if wrong:

1. Migrate the SP 2007 with SQL 2003 Express to the SharePoint 2010 with SQL 2008 R2 (or will it be to SQL 2005 first?) through a database attach upgrade

2. Then migrate the 2010 environment that now has the SP 2007 data to a newly created SP 2013 environment again through database attached upgrade.

3. Migrate the SP 2013 environment to the newly configured SP 2016 environment?

Is it ok to export the SQL data from the 2003 Express and SQL 2008 R2 to a brand new installation of 2014 SQL for SharePoint instead of the above steps from one version consecutively to the next of SharePoint or third party tools to upgrade?

Haven't migrated any SharePoint platforms previously so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

ASLR

Monday, April 4, 2016 3:03 PM

Answers

• Go for a third party migration tool. For something so small you can use one of the cheaper migration tools and skip the messing around with migration environments. Faster and you can re-organise your content to remove some of the junk that would come with trying to merge two different farms.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 10:55 PM

All replies

• 1) Make sure to patch SP 2007 to SP3 first. But you can use SQL 2008 R2 off the bat.

2) Make sure to upgrade the sites to V14 mode prior to upgrading to 2013.

3) Make sure to upgrade the sites to V15 mode prior to upgrading to 2016. Note that as 2016 isn't available for purchase yet ("generally available"), you need to hold off until that time.

SharePoint 2010 does not support SQL 2014. SharePoint 2013 supports it with the May 2014 CU. You should continue to use intermediate, supported versions of SQL Server. 3rd party tools are also an option, and can be better suited depending on the complexity of customizations. The less complex, the easier it is to migrate.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, April 4, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Use the Database Attach upgrade method for each.  I know it seems daunting the first time you go through it.  But afterwards, you'll be amazed how easy it is (for non customized web applications that is).  If you have custom branding and custom developer farm solutions, you'll need expert help to get these migrated (local custom solutions that run in the sandbox should be upgradable without specific attention needed).  Microsoft provides pre-upgrade check tools that can give you a general headsup of what to expect and where the problems will be.  See the references for links to these tools.  

Follow these procedures for 2007 -> 2010:

And these for 2010->2013:

Monday, April 4, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for the responses so far, will review the links sent.

Questions:

1. Is there any free online Microsoft virtual test labs where I can perform a test upgrade by chance?

2. When doing the upgrade, will the name of the folders with the attached meta-data be migrated as is too?

Thanks in advance,

ASLR.

• Edited by aslr12 Monday, April 4, 2016 4:14 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2016 4:13 PM
  • 1) Nope.

2) All of that content is kept in the SharePoint content or service application databases. So yes, that will be migrated as you upgrade.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, April 4, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Metadata that you have configured through the Managed Metadata Service for farm-wide distribution will not be migrated.  You will need to migrate the Managed Metadata database separately.  I have not done this for 2007->2010.  I have done this for 2010->2013.  This procedure shows the steps for 2010->2013:

Monday, April 4, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Go for a third party migration tool. For something so small you can use one of the cheaper migration tools and skip the messing around with migration environments. Faster and you can re-organise your content to remove some of the junk that would come with trying to merge two different farms.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Please have a look at this earlier thread which provides different upgrade strategies in order to upgrade to SharePoint Server 2016.

Here's an another earlier thread might helps you.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Alex is correct.

I will suggest you to have a look at this SharePoint migration tool and check if it helps you to accomplish your job in proficient way.

Carlo

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:18 AM
  • I would disagree with Alex on this particular point - needing a migration tool: I don't believe it necessary in your case from what you've disclosed thus far. Microsoft provides extensive documentation explaining step-by-step how to perform migration and the various migration types and scenarios, and this should be sufficient to get you going.  What you need though to make an objective determination of whether a third party migration tool is necessary is factual information.  To get this information, I would recommend  downloading and completing the Upgrade Worksheet.  This worksheet helps you identify and collate the SharePoint farm artifacts needing upgrade and/or that will be impacted by the upgrade process. Once this data has been captured, you will have a more factual understanding of your upgrade effort and be in a much better position to professionally and objectively determine whether a third party tool is necessary and whether its expense can be justified to your management.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:53 PM