Why can't limited users use non-system pointer schemes? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's something interesting I noticed trying to use a third-party cursor pack. Running a limited user account, I downloaded and installed the cursor pack by unzipping the cursors and right clicking on the scheme.inf file and choosing install (and elevating myself to administrator with UAC). This installed the cursor pack, however when I go to personalise and change mouse pointers, the new pointer scheme does not show up in the list.

Bizarrely, if I log out of my limited account and into the administrators account, I can select the third party (non system) pointer scheme.

Anyone got any idea why I can't select the non-system pointer scheme when running as a limited user?
    Friday, September 25, 2009 2:05 PM

Answers

• Since UAC pops-up when installing, there must be folders or Registry keys that cannot be accessed by standard users. At that moment after you pass the UAC window the installation run with a high privilege. In other word, actually you installed the theme with administrator account, but not standard account.

There must be compatibility issues between the theme and UAC. Unfortunately we cannot change permission settings to change UAC behaviors. Only workaround is disable UAC.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BuckoA51 Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, October 9, 2009 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:37 AM

All replies

• Did UAC prompt pop-up when you install the themes with the limited user account?

You can find the created Registry keys and storage folders from the *.inf file, and verify related permissions. Ensure that all related folders and Registry keys can be accessed by limited user.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Ah yes, now we are getting somewhere. UAC did pop up when installing the theme. It installed the cursors to a sub-folder, looking at the security attributes on the folder we can see Users have read and execute permissions so that seems ok...

However when we come down to [Scheme.Reg] in the .inf file we see:-

HKCU,"Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes","%SCHEME_NAME%" (etc)

Would HKCU be administrator if UAC had elevated at that point? Indeed running regedit seems to confirm this, HKCU\Control Panel\Cursors\Schemes doesn't even exist for the limited user but does for administrator.

So, I'm a little stumped here, how would we change HKCU into HK... (user that we have just elevated from but I still want administrator rights so I can change the registry) U ??

Incidentally, this happens on Vista too...
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Since UAC pops-up when installing, there must be folders or Registry keys that cannot be accessed by standard users. At that moment after you pass the UAC window the installation run with a high privilege. In other word, actually you installed the theme with administrator account, but not standard account.

There must be compatibility issues between the theme and UAC. Unfortunately we cannot change permission settings to change UAC behaviors. Only workaround is disable UAC.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:49 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BuckoA51 Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, October 9, 2009 2:30 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:37 AM
  • But can non-administrators even add keys to HKCU? Wouldn't I need to temporarily make this account administrator rather than disabling UAC?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:03 AM
  • We cannot be assure that the issue must be caused by accessing the Registry key in HKCU. May be caused by other components. This should be a software development related question. Only the publisher knows detail information regarding this.

If you make the account administrator it should work. Since administrator can access the themes but standard users cannot, if UAC is disabled the issue may persists. Because standard users still try to access related resources with low privilege.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:58 AM
  • Disabling UAC just makes it impossible for the limited user to even begin the installation. Temporarily making the account into an administrator (and leaving UAC on) worked however. Thanks for the help. I guess we will be stuck with these kinds of problems for a long time to come thanks to lots of devs assuming everyone was running admin on XP.
    • Marked as answer by BuckoA51 Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:30 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, October 9, 2009 2:30 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:30 AM