none
DPM 2010 - Out of disk... but not really... RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded a DPM 2007 server to DPM 2010 and things are running pretty smoothly but for a few issues.  The main one that is a bit annoying is one regarding disk space on a replica volume.

Error message:
    ----------------------
    The replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection on server.local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent.

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)

DPM is out of disk space for the replica. (ID 58 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FF)
    -----------------------

So this would make perfect sense, however there is currently 125 GB allocated on the replica volume (12 GB used) and 150 GB allocated for the recovery point volume (17 GB used) which seems like a heck of a lot of space for a system state backup... I can't imagine any server using over 100 GB to do a system state backup...

On the source server I am getting errors in the event log, but only indicating that the target doesn't have enough space... (Backup attempted at '7/13/2010 12:04:32 PM' failed to start, error code '2155348040'.) Worth noting however is that I am backing up an additional drive that is on this server and it is being backed up perfectly fine with no errors.

Again, how this replica volume is out of space is a bit of a mystery to me and I am at a loss for where to continue looking... I did at least check to make sure all the system writers are working properly though (evidenced by the disk backup that is working fine.)  Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• Edited by tcnolan Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:22 PM The error message was not easily readable...
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:20 PM

Answers

• This is bare metal recovery protection, right? You could verify how much data DPM is trying to back up by running the following command in an Administrator command prompt on the protected server:

C:\Windows\System32\wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:%1

(Just say "No" when it prompts to start the backup operation.)

This will display which volumes on the protected server DPM will include in the BMR backup. Perhaps more than just the C: drive will be included (such as for a Domain Controller), and thus it really will be an over-125 GB BMR backup??

-Taylorbox

• Marked as answer by tcnolan Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:41 PM

All replies

• This is bare metal recovery protection, right? You could verify how much data DPM is trying to back up by running the following command in an Administrator command prompt on the protected server:

C:\Windows\System32\wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:%1

(Just say "No" when it prompts to start the backup operation.)

This will display which volumes on the protected server DPM will include in the BMR backup. Perhaps more than just the C: drive will be included (such as for a Domain Controller), and thus it really will be an over-125 GB BMR backup??

-Taylorbox

• Marked as answer by tcnolan Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:06 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Thank you very much!  Running wbadmin from the command line and seeing that the entire drive was being backed up pointed out what you mentioned... that this was a BMR backup... which it wasn't supposed to be doing.  Someone else added that without considering the disk space, I just didn't process system protection vs. system state.  Thanks for the quick reality check!

Now if only DPM didn't care about my database mirroring (separate server) being done over a cross-over cable...

• Proposed as answer by Kyle Kartan Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:10 PM
  • I have just come across this after a move to a new DMP 2010 server with a larger disk capacity and I am starting to use the bare matal recovery option.

The strange thing is on one server with a C and D drive when I run your command it says C only but on the other it says C & D.

As part of the normal backup of both these servers I am including C & D, but why do I get different results. Under most circumstances I would have thought you would only ever need to bare metal the C drive.

Is there any way to change the server which says C and D to just C ?

Thanks

Roger

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:13 PM
  • In our case we experienced the same problem.

Running wbadmin.exe told me the "windows server backup" feature had to be installed.

After installing the feature the backup worked fine

Friday, December 23, 2011 8:34 AM