Customing logonui background with 1024x768 does not work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have followed this information in order to create customized backgrounds for my company.

I have distributed five files using group policy preferences as follows:

• background1024×768.jpg (Aspect Ratio 1, 213KB)
    • background1280×960.jpg (AR1, 242KB)
    • background1280×1024.jpg (AR2, 244KB)
    • background1600×1200.jpg (AR1, 243KB)
    • backgroundDefault.jpg (AR2, 244KB)

It appears that none of the background files are respected except for the backgroundDefault.jpg under any resolution.  As backgroundDefault.jpg is 1280x1024, I run into issues for resolutions that aren't of that aspect ratio (as noted as "AR1" above).

Why is this the case?

Thanks,

Matt

• Edited by mbrownnyc Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you note that "You do not have to supply all of these files. The backgroundDefault.jpg file will be used if the corresponding resolution file is not available. This file must be less than 256000 bytes. " in this library note?

Your problem probably caused by resolution doesn't compatible with background picture.

Please check it.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Balaji M KundalamMVP Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mbrownnyc Wednesday, June 4, 2014 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:31 AM
  • Thanks Roger.

All of the files are under 256000 bytes.

A good example is with a desktop that is 1024x768 (WidthxHeight).  The background1024×768.jpg file is not used.

If I change the name to background768x1024.jpg, it is also not used.

Going through each resolution after removing backgroundDefault.jpg leads me to believe that none of my alternate files are being used.

Other than the following registry setting, are there additional settings that must be changed?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background  REG_DWORD: OEMBackgrond = 0x1

Thanks,

Matt

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

According to this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977944

This issue varies if the following conditions are true:

If the domain user logs on the domain after you deploy the "Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting, the desktop background changes to black.

Note The color of the desktop background varies, depending on the color scheme that you set.

If the domain user logs on the domain before you apply the "Desktop Wallpaper" Group Policy setting, the desktop background does not change.

You can try to use this hotfix tool to fix this problem for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:53 AM
  • Thanks Roger.

This is for the desktop wallpaper, not the LogonUI wallpaper.  I am changing the LogonUI wallpaper, so the hotfix does not apply.

Thanks,

Matt

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:33 PM