Windows 7 legit check ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello sir ,

I'am actually not sure if I've posted this on the right forum but wanted to know if there was a clear way to distinguish between a pc that has fake windows 7 and a PC that was legit windows 7. I mean i want to find out if there is a method that will point it out at a glance of the screen shot of the desktop wallpaper or something. A picture explaination would really really help :D Thanks

Thanks

• Edited by WaRR28586 Sunday, October 6, 2013 5:17 PM
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 5:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• W

You can download and run WGA from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20888

It is the final authority and cant be faked.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, October 7, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

There are a couple of different ways to check whether the windows 7 is genuine.

In this case I recommend you using Activate Windows Dialog:

Click on Start, then type in activate windows in the search box.

If the windows is activated and genuine, we will get a message that says “Activation was successful”, and we will also see the Microsoft genuine software logo on the right hand side.

Hope this helps,

Ada Liu

• Proposed as answer by Bill - MCSE Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 21, 2013 3:13 PM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 10:03 AM
  • Well I Appreciate the help :) But I've seen people detect whether someone's windows is legit or not at a glance.. Lets take an example so that i can explain myself better. Lets suppose , i saw a desktop switched on and its at its normal desktop background like the picture below. How do I recognize whether it is legit windows or not ? I'm sure its possible to make out because many of my friends are able to find out.

Like see this picture, how would you make out whether it is legit or not ? 

(P.S. This is just a randomly downloaded image from the internet as an eg.)

cloud.addictivetips(dot)com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/desktop1.jpg

Replace the "(dot)" with "."

• Edited by WaRR28586 Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:44 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:42 PM
  • WaRR28586

Either/Both of those snips can be spoofed/faked.  WGA cant easily.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:25 PM
  • Hi,

We can distinguish whether the windows7 is fake or legit from the desktop as the picture show below.

If it's still not the answer of your issue, you may contact your friends for help.

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Ada Liu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 21, 2013 3:13 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 8:27 AM
  • I no longer can rely on whether the Activation was successful.

Installed Win 7 Pro on a client's computer over four months ago and it went through Activation fine and showed the "genuine" logo, downloaded patches and updates fine, and gave no indication of a problem. Then suddenly after four months of flawless operation, from the first week in April, Microsoft declared the product key to be "pirated" and the installation was no longer "genuine". The only option given by Microsoft was to purchase another copy of Windows 7 which seems very convenient for them to show that the software is legit, then wait until the purchase can no longer be challenged and declare it pirated and force the repurchase of software.

It's just a crap shoot at this point. You can follow all the steps and still get screwed.
    • Edited by jscarey Monday, August 11, 2014 6:46 PM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 6:44 PM
  • I no longer can rely on whether the Activation was successful.

Installed Win 7 Pro on a client's computer over four months ago and it went through Activation fine and showed the "genuine" logo, downloaded patches and updates fine, and gave no indication of a problem. Then suddenly after four months of flawless operation, from the first week in April, Microsoft declared the product key to be "pirated" and the installation was no longer "genuine". The only option given by Microsoft was to purchase another copy of Windows 7 which seems very convenient for them to show that the software is legit, then wait until the purchase can no longer be challenged and declare it pirated and force the repurchase of software.

It's just a crap shoot at this point. You can follow all the steps and still get screwed.
    I had to re-install Windows and it said it activated successfully. Two days later, legitcheck pops up and says it is not a genuine copy, and to buy another one. I followed the steps above and it says activation was successful, but legitcheck still sends me to the webpage that says 

Files that Windows needs to work properly have been modified, removed, or disabled. To resolve, you need to install genuine Windows. Not to worry, we can help you with that.

How do I resolve this?

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:48 AM