Start recording is absent when talking to external user. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My users are having a issue with with recording when talking with an external user via Skype for Business. Whenever we would would talk with a user, the start recordings option would not show up, just manage recordings. Is there a way to allow recordings when talking with an external user. I have checked the box for allow external communications and the box for allow this user to record. Of course it works with users internally but, we are looking to Skype as a potential podcast solution but, we need to be able to record when talking outside of our organization.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hello Charles, 

Skype for Business allow recording only when its a conference , irrespective of external or internal user .

For internal user when you say that its working , is that  a peer to peer call -- are you using any other addons to record the call scenario ?

There were few post helping the same in a different approach 

http://windowspbx.blogspot.in/2012/05/lync-user-tip-20-how-to-record-lync-to.html

Linus

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:56 AM
  • Hi,

I wonder what the external user is that you mentioned, because peer-to-peer recording is not available if either party is using non-Lync client. If the external users use non-Lync client, we do cannot record for the peer-to-peer call.

As a workaround, you can set up a meeting from the Lync client end and add the non-Lync client party into this meeting as below:

1. Click on "Meet Now" in the Tool Bar, a call/meeting window will pop up
    2. Invite by Name or Phone Number, you will then be able to record (lower right corner of window)

Here is a blog for your reference.

http://ucken.blogspot.sg/2010/11/lync-call-recording.html

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above links.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:53 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Thank you I will check out that link and let you know if that helps
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:35 PM
  • The other external user is (supposedly) using a Skype for business client as well. I will check out the link that you provided to see if that helps. Thanks
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 3:37 PM