none
Install Applications during MDT TS before reference computer in audited mode. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there anyway for MDT to install applications on reference computer before the computer is audited mode? I've checked all website/forums and they all saying to install applications AFTER the audit mode. I'm looking for any way to do it BEFORE.

Right now, all I could do is install Win7 Ent, then audit mode window pops up. I don't see any update installations, or applications that I have already put on the TS list. I'm sure that if I change the audit mode to OOBE, it will finally install applications and updates but I would prefer to do this prior audit mode. I have lots of applications that are automated but needs little configurations.

Is it possible to do that before audit mode?

Thank you

Beau

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:09 PM

All replies

• Are you not able to install the apps to a win 7 install in a VM and then do a sysprep and capture task sequence? I'm unsure as to why the apps have to be installed in audit mode.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Well, there are a few ways to do things....

1. No Image - Your Task Sequence installs the Operating System from original media (imported as an OS), performs configuration, installs applications, and does patching.  This takes the longest since every task is done in real-time.
    2. "Thin Image" - You (manually or through a "Capture" Task Sequence) install the OS, update, do minor configuration and application installs, then capture your custom WIM and import it.  Then, using a "Deploy" Task Sequence, you deliver the custom WIM, and install additional applications.  This is easier to maintain, but also can take more time as the last batch of apps are in real-time.
    3. "Thick Image" - You (manually or through a "Capture" Task Sequence) install the OS, update, do all configuration and applications installs, then capture your custom WIM and import it.  Then, using a "Deploy" Task Sequence, you deliver the custom WIM, doing minor config and tweaking as all apps are "in" the image.  This takes more time to maintain as every change to an app requires an update to your image.

Option 1 does not use audit mode.  Option 2 and 3 use Sysprep with /generalize, but the apps are installed prior to audit mode.  If you are manually building and capturing Option 2 or 3 and using a "Sysprep and Capture" Task Sequence, you don't need to manually run Sysprep and put the machine into audit or generalize, MDT will do it for you.  If you are doing Option 2 and 3 with a full "Capture" Task Sequence, MDT again handles the Sysprep parts for you (and everything else, really).

Are you manually capturing your image with Sysprep or are you doing it through MDT?

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:55 AM
    Answerer