none
Remove Worker Threads ("MSSQLServer01",etc.) on Windows 10 in order to Successfully Re-install Machine Learning SQL Server R Services In-Database RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know how to successfully remove the Advanced Analytic Worker Threads ("MSSQLServer01", etc.) on Windows 10 in order to re-install Machine Learning In-Database Services.  I can't seem to locate where the worker accounts are stored although they keep showing up in the Security folder under SQL Server Windows Logins .   I have successfully uninstalled SQL Server 2017 but it still leaves the threads behind after a new install has completed.  I have also gone as far as to completely reset Windows 10 and to no avail the same thing happens.  I have looked in the registry, configuration files, R Server folder under Setup Bootstrap.  And there is no obvious place where these Worker accounts are stored.  Any help would surely be appreciated.  Is this a Microsoft bug  R Services In-Database?  Thanks!

Stephen Wexler

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hey Stephen,

I am not completely sure what you want to do - you refer to worker threads, but mention user accounts as well?

Anyway, if you are after the user accounts that is created during installation of R Services In-Database you can find them by using lusrmgr.msc ("Local Users and Groups").

The folders representing these worker accounts are in: C:\<path_to_the_sql_instance>\MSSQL\ExtensibilityData.

You can read more about these accounts and folders in my blog-post: 

http://www.nielsberglund.com/2017/04/13/microsoft-sql-server-r-services-internals-iii/

Hope this helps?!

Niels

http://www.nielsberglund.com | @nielsberglund

Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi Niels,

First off I must say what a great blog you have!  Extremely informative and full of detail.  Unfortunately nothing seemed to apply to my current problem (although I am still reading through the internals).  To be clear I am using Windows 10 Home Edition along with SQL Server 2017.  Lusrmgr.msc will not work on this edition as well as 2017 has changed the location of R-Services Setup folder.  It is now located in the following location when using the default path: ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140").  From an MS standpoint it looks like advanced analytics using R and Python is still a work in progress especially since MS has opened up their infrastructure to include other companies/services - like Linux, R-Services, etc.  The 20 default accounts will not interfere with a Stand-Alone Machine Learning model install.  So I have decided to use that selection instead of the In-Database model incorporating Launchpad.  I will keep researching but if you or anyone else comes across any info that addresses the specific issue above please don't hesitate to contact me. 

Thank you once again.

Stephen

Stephen Wexler

Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Ah, OK. Just out of curiosity - what error are you getting when trying to re-install?

Niels

http://www.nielsberglund.com | @nielsberglund

Friday, December 29, 2017 4:08 AM