none
“Summary” filter. RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I’ve inserted a ‘summary’ field into my table with the intent that i would like to filter out ‘YES’ option, thus filter out all summary tasks, and retain only the subordinate tasks.

The behaviour i witness is if i choose “Yes” it removes all the subordinate tasks, and keeps  all the summary tasks as expected. However, when i select “no”,  nothing happens?!! I was expecting the opposite to happen, i.e. summary tasks are removed, and subordinate tasks remain which is the functionality I was hoping to produce.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi gdallas,

When filtering data, there is an option to 'Show related summary rows'.
    When using auto-filter, this option is always on. That is why the summary tasks are always visible.

If you want to have a filter where related summary tasks are not shown, you would have to create a new filtere from View -> Filter -> New Filter.
    When defining the filter you can disable the 'Show related summary rows' option.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Is that option available in V2007?

Instead i went to Project > Filtered For: All Tasks > More

But was unsure where to go from there as i dont see an 'Show related summary rows' option

Thanks

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

Project > Filtered For > More Filters > New

The condition to enter is Summary equals No, and the Show related summary rows is at the bottom.

Greetings,

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:48 PM
  • Hmm, it appears to do what i want, until i switch view and my new filter is revert back to “all tasks” . is there away to set it so that my ne filter applies to my new ‘MDL’ view only, and not my Gantt chart view.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:04 PM
  • forget that, just wored it out edit view, and pply filte type!

Thanks agian for all your help

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:06 PM
  • gdallas,

In Project 2007, if you only want to see the subordinate tasks, go to Tools>Options>View tab and deselect Show summary tasks.  If you do not want to go through that trouble each time, you could record a macro with a hot-key, and with a minor bit of VBA editing, the hot-key would toggle the summary tasks on and off.  (Rod Gill's book on on Project VBA is the tops.)

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:50 PM
  • gdallas,

Simple! Select on menu the options Project, Filtered For: All tasks, More Filters and New
    Create a customized filter with the conditions you want. After this, check this options below.

I recommend creating views for each situation you want.

Alexandre Paiva, PMP, MCTS, ITIL Project Manager +55 (21) 8887-3645 alexandre.paiva@gerentedeprojeto.net.br www.gerentedeprojeto.net.br
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:08 PM