Adaptec 2940U2W Are ANY SCSI drivers recognized? RRS feed

• Question

• Thought I'd try to install Vista on a pretty standard PC that happens to use an Adaptec 2940U2W host adapter to support a SCSI Drive.  Was totally suprised that Vista doesn't see the drive at all!  I assumes this means Vista doesn't support the driver for the 2940U2W.  I looked all over the Vista and Adaptec web sites to find a driver for it and Vista, but none exists.  Seems hard to believe that Vista wouln't support a very standard Adaptect SCSI card.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Onyx.
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 6:10 PM

All replies

• Wow, not a SINGLE answer.  Please Microsoft, answer my question:  Does Vista support SCSI???  I can't find anything about Vista and SCSI anywhere on the Vista web pages.  Do SCSI drivers for Vista exist?  Where can I get them.  Thus far, I have not even been able to START an install because Vista can't even see my HD.  Some OS this is, doesn't even support Standard SCSI host adapters, and NO help anywhere on the Vista web pages even mentioning SCSI for Vista.  I'd LOVE to help you BETA test this software, but I have to be able to load it first.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 4:53 PM
  • Use Server 2003 drivers from Adaptec.  I've installed Vista Beta 2 on systems with both 2110S and 2120S raid adapters, using Server 2003 drivers - they must have digital signatures.

Here are the supported Adaptec Cards based on the INF's in Vista

PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_00CF.DeviceDesc =                 "Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra160 PCI SCSI Card"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_00C0.DeviceDesc =                 "Adaptec SCSI Card 39160 - Ultra160 SCSI (Generic)"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_008F.DeviceDesc =                 "Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra160 PCI SCSI Card"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0080.DeviceDesc =                 "Adaptec SCSI Card 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI (Generic)"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0081.DeviceDesc =                 "Adaptec SCSI Card 19160 - Ultra160 SCSI (Generic)"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_00C0&SUBSYS_F6209005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 39160 - Ultra160 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_00C0&SUBSYS_F6200E11.DeviceDesc = "Compaq 64-bit/66MHz Dual Channel Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0080&SUBSYS_E2A09005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0080&SUBSYS_E2A00E11.DeviceDesc = "Compaq 64-bit/66MHz Wide Ultra3 SCSI Adapter"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0080&SUBSYS_62A09005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N - Ultra160 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0080&SUBSYS_E2209005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP - Ultra160 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0081&SUBSYS_62A19005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 19160 - Ultra160 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_0082&SUBSYS_02109005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec 2915/2930LP PCI SCSI Controller"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8010.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec 39320-based Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8011.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec 39320-based Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8012.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec 29320-based Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_801D.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7902B - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_801E.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7901-based Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_801F.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7902-based Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_800F.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7901 - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_800F&SUBSYS_005F9005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7901 - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8000&SUBSYS_00609005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 29320A - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8014&SUBSYS_00449005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LP - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8015&SUBSYS_00409005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 39320 - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8016&SUBSYS_00409005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 39320A - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9005&DEV_8017&SUBSYS_00449005.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec SCSI Card 29320ALP - Ultra320 SCSI"
    PCI\VEN_9004&DEV_7078&SUBSYS_70781414.DeviceDesc = "Adaptec AIC-7870 PCI SCSI Controller (Emulated)"

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:55 PM
  • I also love my retired 2940U2W, but it is a pretty ancient card.  I suggest getting something in the 29160 family off of ebay (~$25).  That's what I use (and boot from) now.  Vista and all versions of XP and my motherboard have recognized the drives on it without additional drivers.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2006 9:32 PM
  • Just to let everyone know whos been folowing this thread, I looked for Win2003 drivers, but none exist for the 2940U2W, so just for fun I tried old Win2000 drivers, and they work just fine.  I now have a running Vista system. (almost)

Now if only I could make a network connection work.  Probably the single most sold network card of all times, the 3com 3c509 series, is NOT recognized by Vista.  I REALLY do understand that Vista doesn't want to support every old piece of hardware, BUT the 3c509 series is without question the single most used network cards there are.  I tried older OS drivers, but no luck

My friends are trying to convince me that this is all a scam set up by microsoft and the hardware makers to force people to buy ALL new computer equipment to run Vista by refusing to support older (even the most popular) hardware.  Maybe it is true.  I don't know.
    Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:56 PM
  • You know, I wonder ... are people just really dumb or just plain ignorant.

It has never been the OS job to 'supply' drivers, it has become a courtesy, any manufacturer is more than welcome to submit drivers for evaluation to MS and even get an official badge of approval. This is not a free service, why should it be, manpower is need to test these things.

Ultimately the ownest is on the manufacturer of the peripheral to supply adequate drivers.
    Thursday, June 22, 2006 5:07 PM
  • the win2000 driver of 2940u2w is not supportted in vista rtm.

but maybe adaptec will provide a new driver for it.

please check: http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14297

Sunday, November 12, 2006 3:42 PM
  •  

I am neither dumb or ignorant and I'm a former author of drivers for VMS.

Operating systems won't run without drivers. There are some that you just have suppy.

The onus, is on Microsoft to provide a useable and attactive operating system. That's mean supplying a rich subset of drivers.

Monday, December 11, 2006 1:44 AM
  • This applies to the release to manufacturer version of Vista available to TechNet Plus subscribers and OEMs.

I wanted to be able to format the hard drive prior to installing Vista (vs. installing an older version of Windows first). The Vista installation would not recognize the drive using any of the 2940xxx.INF files from W2K3 Server. I sitched to the generic AIC78x.INF driver, and the Vista installation recognized the drive, allowed me to format and do a clean installation.

Adaptec's web site currently has a link (http://adaptec-tic.adaptec.com/cgi-bin/adaptec_tic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14297) which at least indicates they are working on a driver the 2940 series for Vista. The driver is not yet available from Adapatec as of 12/26/06.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:06 PM
  • I would like to update this thread as I have just purchased Vista x64 Business, and it will not find my hard discs, I have an Adaptec U320 39320D-R SCSI card , Adaptec claim to have Vista x64 MS certified drivers, yet when I choose to load the driver and select the HostRaid Drivers for my card Vista just BSD's with a buffer overflow 'Stack Overrun' error. If I use the non HostRaid drivers, they seem to install ok but Vista still doesn't show my hard disks in the available drives for install.

It would seem Vista & Adaptec are still not properly compatible, does anyone know how i can fix this problem or should i simply send my Vista back for a refund as XP is running like a dream at the moment and I guess it's the old addage 'If it aint broke!'

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 9:47 AM
  • [No need to try to defend yourself against those who are abusive online! Their 'true colors' always shine bright!  I guarantee you that if you just skip over such posts/replies, you will not loose any sleep... Added bonus is that you are not giving them the satisfaction!]

Anyways, correct me if I am wrong but I think the native Adaptec drivers (e.g. Adaptec adpu160m.sys) are installedbpre-OS boot.  <Ctrl+A>  You can format (even low-level) all your SCSI HDDs pre-OS boot.  You may need a partition manager (Paragon, Acronis, etc) of sorts but I think if you ONLY run a SCSI HDD chain (no SATA mixed-in), then during initial Vista/SP1 install from CD/DVD, it automatically loads the proper dirvers before the install-GUI is displayed (and prior to most anything else), as the install depends on being able to access SCSI HDD to create it as the 'boot' HDD. 

I think you have to make a distinction between Controller card drivers and IDE/SATA 'disk' drivers:  The negotiation(s) between SCSI HDDs and the processor are controlled directly by the SCSI card.

If you had a mix of of SCSI and SATA HDDs, then (like myself), you may run into a problem if you attempt to boot from SATA HDD, since (at least, in my Vista (pre/post-SP1 sytem) VistaOS depopulates your SCSI devices from your DeviceManager "Disk Drives" section and attempts to install them and enumerates them as "Other Devices".  All hell breaks loose; since, now, VistaOS is attempting to search for these new "Other Devices" but these are the native drivers (e.g. disk.sys, partmgr.sys, etc in ) that VistaOS just decided to uninstall, while shuffling them around and re-enumerating them.

Actually, it is quite hilarious to watch the subsequent sequence of events that take place within VistaOS environment:  If you crank up the audio (w/alert sounds enabled), the ensueing popping-bubble sounds (due to each disappearing SCSI HDD from your FileManager) makes for a great FUBAR episode, like no other!  Oh yes, don't forget to have backup images of your important drives!

SCSI HDDs play nice with SATA HDDs, when Vista-boot HDD is SCSI but the same cannot be said of Vista-boot from SATA HDD, in presence of SCSI drives.  Currently, this applies to a DualCore E6850 with an Asus Maximus MoBo, under an Adaptec #39160 dual-channel PCI controller, using Vista Business OS. 

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:57 AM
  • Thought I'd try to install Vista on a pretty standard PC that happens to use an Adaptec 2940U2W host adapter to support a SCSI Drive.  Was totally suprised that Vista doesn't see the drive at all!  I assumes this means Vista doesn't support the driver for the 2940U2W.  I looked all over the Vista and Adaptec web sites to find a driver for it and Vista, but none exists.  Seems hard to believe that Vista wouln't support a very standard Adaptect SCSI card.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Onyx.

First there are a number of things to understand here before troubleshooting SCSI devices. For instance I have an adaptec 2920 card running a scanner in both vista and windows 7. Disk peripherals are somewhat different, though the process is very similar. First SCSI drives are Bios Independant systems which is why you can put up to 15 devices in a chain and are the longest running Raid drives not requiring special controllers to control the raid (in other words only software to create the raid is required).  Second is that SCSI is still the most supported interface in the computer industry for many reasons, therefore the 2940U2W controller is supported and continues to be supported in the new operating systems. You must understand what the 2940U2W is, which is in the labelling system. The 2940 is the first pci "Fast" SCSI Card that Adapec made that was stable. This card went through the following progression. The 2940 was the basic Controller, Then the 2940W came out which was the "wide" version (using the smaller d connector instead of the 80 pin connector), followed by the Ultra which supported Faster speeds and wider bus. Then the 2940UW was released and then the 2940U2W host adaptors were released and both were a "transitional" controller leading into and eventually merged or replaced by the 7800 series controllers. Therefore you will most likely find your drivers in the 78xx series driver set. You may have to use the drivers from either windows 2000 or Server 2003 drivers for Windows Vista or Windows 7 since they have the characteristics of "server" behavior.  It is and always has been the domain of the manufacturer of the peripehral to provide the drivers for their hardware. ALL drivers supplied by microsoft are created and supplied to microsoft for testing and digital signature. >>> Microsoft Does Not Make Drivers and has absolutely No responsibility to supply drivers and never has (and if they're smart never will - and they are smart no matter what anyone says)<<< At this point the dilemma is between you and adaptec. One answer describes the 78xx driver set that supports the 2940u160 controller - a Scsi 3 driver not a Scsi 2 Driver- different animal altogeather (although in some instances it may work) You should be looking for a lower 78xx driver set. One that starts with your 2940U2W. 
     Below please find scsi specifications. These may help.

Protocols

SCSI devices can use either asynchronous or synchronous communication protocols.

In the original SCSI specification, synchronous communication allowed speeds of up to 5 Mb/sec. Note that if your SCSI bus is short, asychronous communication can be fast.

SCSI-2

SCSI-2 extends the original Common Command Set (CCS) to support CD-ROMs, scanners, communications devices and optical memory drives (eg WORM and erasable media).

SCSI-2 supports 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit buses; also it supports up to 10 Mb/sec on 8-bit buses, and thus up to 40 Mb/sec on 32-bit buses.

Fast-Wide SCSI-2

5 Mb/sec          10 Mb/sec
         8-bit                       Fast
         16-bit    Wide              Fast-Wide
         32-bit    Wide              Fast-Wide

The SCSI-2 specification allows fast SCSI only on differential SCSI buses, but in practice vendors sell single-ended fast SCSI devices.

SCSI-3

SCSI-3 is planned to support optical fibre, longer cables, and more that 8 targets per bus.

Also, it will run at up to 20 Mb/sec.

SCSI-3 will include a specification for serial SCSI over fibre-optic or high-speed copper cabling. Speeds aimed for are 51 Mb/sec up to 1 Gb/sec. These serial proposals are called IEEE P1394 (nicknamed FireWire), Fibre Channel and Serial Storage Architecture (SSA).

Another advantage of serial is that fewer wires are required, simplifying cabling. Frankly though, mixing serial SCSI and parallel SCSI looks like a recipe for disaster.

Tekkkiefirst
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Adaptec no longer support windows OS ;-(

Windows will support some Adaptec cards ;-)

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:52 PM