Multiple instances of services RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 2016

I have many instances of users' services appearing in Services.msc--thins such as DCPUserSvc_########, User Data Access__########, and ContactData__########. This is apparently part of Desktop Experience.

But I cannot find a way, as in prior versions, to remove that. The documentation I see leads me to believe that the only way to get rid of Desktop Experience--and therefore all these services--without removing the server GUI entirely. That is certainly something we cannot do with our main Remote Desktop server.

How do we get rid of all these user-level services that clutter Services and make troubleshooting the server just that much more complex while still maintaining the GUI for all my users?

Or are we just stuck with this as another arm of Microsoft's move away from great products to the social engineering program?

Friday, May 8, 2020 2:57 PM

Answers

• HI
    "I was not aware that disabled services will no longer appear in the services.msc. Must be a change with Windows 2016;)"
    Yes.

When you install Windows Server 2016 using the Setup wizard, you can choose between Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server (Server with Desktop Experience). The Server with Desktop Experience option is the Windows Server 2016 equivalent of the Full installation option available in Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Desktop Experience feature installed.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Brian D. Hart Friday, June 19, 2020 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 5:41 AM

All replies

• Sounds a bit like per user services.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/per-user-services-in-windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 8, 2020 3:02 PM
  • But that link is why I posted my question here. It told me how to disable user-level services, but that is not my question; my question is how to prevent them entirely. That post included this rather promising note: "Per-user services are only in available in Windows Server if you have installed the Desktop Experience"

So I figured I must have previously installed the Desktop Experience on this server, since I have always done that with my 2012R2 servers so I can easily use the theme to put the standard Computer, Network, and Control Panel icons on the admin's desktop. But when I went looking through the Server Manager for the option to uninstall the Desktop Experience, it was not there. It would be a fair tradeoff to gain the reduction in Services clutter at the expense of only a couple of desktop icons from my admin desktop, ones I can easily replace with simple shortcuts.

But a bit more digging through other posts seems to indicate that the Desktop Experience is perhaps inseparably integrated with the server GUI on Windows Server 2016. And that brought me back here to see if we are actually stuck with the Desktop Experience, with its overhead jumble of user-level services sitting there--enabled or otherwise--to plague administrators. If so, I will just have to accept it as one more developers-are-out-of-touch-with-system-administrators change, but if not, I will take appropriate measures to remove it so I can get rid of these user services.

Friday, May 8, 2020 4:17 PM
  • told me how to disable user-level services, but that is not my question; my question is how to prevent them entirely.

Not sure of the difference. The more likely culprit is the RDS role.

appropriate measures to remove it so I can get rid of these user services.

The link I posted shows how to disable the per user services. 

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 8, 2020 4:29 PM
  • I was not aware that disabled services will no longer appear in the services.msc. Must be a change with Windows 2016;)

Great. Thank you!

Friday, May 8, 2020 5:18 PM
  • Per-user services are services that are created when a user signs into Windows. By following the document to disable per user they will no longer be created, hence would no longer show up in services.msc

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Friday, May 8, 2020 5:27 PM
  • HI
    "I was not aware that disabled services will no longer appear in the services.msc. Must be a change with Windows 2016;)"
    Yes.

When you install Windows Server 2016 using the Setup wizard, you can choose between Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server (Server with Desktop Experience). The Server with Desktop Experience option is the Windows Server 2016 equivalent of the Full installation option available in Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Desktop Experience feature installed.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Brian D. Hart Friday, June 19, 2020 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2020 5:41 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:38 AM
  • Per-user services are services that are created when a user signs into Windows. By following the document to disable per user they will no longer be created, hence would no longer show up in services.msc

But the link you provided indicates under the "Disabled per-user services" section that "Disabling a per-user service simply means that it is created in a stopped and disabled state. When the user signs out, the per-user service is removed."

Huh? How is that the same as "they will no longer be created". But that link also says this, "...the per-user services aren't displayed in the Services management console...".

...except they are all there when I run Services.msc.

What am I missing here?

Thursday, May 14, 2020 8:02 AM
  • What am I missing here?

If you want them gone you can follow along here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/per-user-services-in-windows#disable-per-user-services

Thursday, May 14, 2020 12:24 PM
  • HI
    does Dave Patrick' suggestion help you? 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:50 AM