none
Resource capacity planning data RRS feed

• Question

• hello forum members,

we trying to migrated data from Clarity PPM to Project Server 2013. does anyone know if its possible to migrate resource capacity planning data into Project Server? So far, it seems to me that this is a calculated value in Project. Maybe there a way to migrate related fields? Which fields would that be ? ( sorry, i am new to project management and to Project Server)

tatiana

tatiana

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:37 PM

Answers

• Tatiana,

Project Server calculates Remaining Availability as follows. I recently had a client issue that involved this so here's what I found. All of this assumes looking at one resource, assuming available from and to dates are set to NA.

Base Capacity (Derived from the working time on the Resource's Calendar)

* Resource Max Units (Percent of their time available for Project work)

- SUM(Calendar Exceptions (Exception entries for non-working time that are manually entered) which only impact the designated time frame)

= Capacity

- SUM(Assigned Work (from project tasks, admin tasks))

= Remaining Availability

Example,

• Bob has a 40 hr 5 day calendar associated to his record. Base daily capacity is 8 hours.  Bob has a Max Unit setting of 75
    • Bob's Daily Capacity is 6 hours. (8*0.75)
    • Bob has 5 hours of project work and admin time for that day.
    • Bob's remaining availability is 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Twitter | http://www.tumbleroad.com

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:57 PM

All replies

• Tatiana --

The field you would use is the Remaining Availability field.  In individual projects, you can add this field to the timephased grid on the right side of the Resource Usage view.  In Business Intelligence Center reports, I believe you can add the Remaining Availability field to the Row Fields drop area in the PivotTable.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:52 PM
  • thank you for your reply Dale. So this "Remaining Availability" field is used for resource capacity planning? it is a calculated value or not? it is possible to enter a value for it for each resource ? 

tatiana

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Tatiana --

Yes, you can most certainly use the Remaining Availability field for capacity planning.  The field is calculated and you cannot enter values for it.  For example, you have a resource whose capacity for a month is 160 hours.  The resource is currently assigned to 100 hours of work in projects during the month.  The Remaining Availability for that month would be 60 hours.  Is that the kind of information you would want to see for capacity planning?  If not, you will need to elaborate a bit more on what you mean by capacity planning.  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 11:37 AM
  • thanks Dale,

i am looking to migrate data from another system called Clarity PPM into Project Server. Since Remaining Availability is a calculated field, is there any related non-calculate fields that i can move into Project instead? Do you know by any chance what non-calculated fields does Remaining Availability is using for its calculations?

tatiana

tatiana

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Tatiana,

Project Server calculates Remaining Availability as follows. I recently had a client issue that involved this so here's what I found. All of this assumes looking at one resource, assuming available from and to dates are set to NA.

Base Capacity (Derived from the working time on the Resource's Calendar)

* Resource Max Units (Percent of their time available for Project work)

- SUM(Calendar Exceptions (Exception entries for non-working time that are manually entered) which only impact the designated time frame)

= Capacity

- SUM(Assigned Work (from project tasks, admin tasks))

= Remaining Availability

Example,

• Bob has a 40 hr 5 day calendar associated to his record. Base daily capacity is 8 hours.  Bob has a Max Unit setting of 75
    • Bob's Daily Capacity is 6 hours. (8*0.75)
    • Bob has 5 hours of project work and admin time for that day.
    • Bob's remaining availability is 1 hour.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Twitter | http://www.tumbleroad.com

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:57 PM