none
Planning work through My Tasks on MSP Server 2010 PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I hope this is a simple answer for one of you.

I've just got back from 3 weeks leave and my head is not co-oprerating getting back into PWA Server land.

I would like to enable editing of the "Planned" work column so i can get my engineering departments to plan their work load better and save me chasing them every week about leveling their load.

Currently its greyed out, i'm sure that its not difficult but a steer in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Graeme

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Graeme,

sorry, there is no way to enable editing of Planned Work, since planning is part of PM's job. The only way to get Planned Work changed for a team member, is to enter Actual Work. In this case, Planned Work is modified accordingly (Actual Work is a fact, so Planned Work is adjusted.) Moreover, Team members can modify Remaining Work, which may help you to get expected result.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hmm, thanks for the responses,

That is a shame that its not possible, how do you suggest that i help the engineers help me.

As i mentioned i have 80+ users working on 35+ different schedules, all reportring their time through Project, there are alway cases where work starts on a task then stops for whatever reason, something else starts then stops. I have reduced task "work" and "durations" to sensible levels but the problem still exists that before long the guys have a heap of work that is started but not fininshed. When i do my weekly statusing of schedules to ensure there is no open work in the past and no completed work in the future all these tasks soon add up and make the resources appear overloaded with all these tasks taht are waiting.

I thought it would be sensible to give the power to the user to plan his work given that the PM will ask the user how it is progressing and seek guidance on expected completion dates from him, i was hoping have everyone report their planned work also to stream line the process and have the schedules reflect reality.

Has anyone any ideas how to overcome this issue, or do i need to employ some more schedulers?

Cheers

Graeme

I'm based in Auckland, New Zealand if anyone is interested in a job.

• Edited by GraemeButt Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:18 PM Additional statement
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:15 PM