none
Currency Conversions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I am having trouble wrapping my brain around currency conversions.

Here is my situation:

My fact table contains values in local currency with a reference to the currency dimension.

These local currencies need to be converted to two reporting currencies: Actual Rates and Budget Rates.

I have rates on a daily basis for both reporting currencies.

How should my table structure look, and how do i set it up in AS so this works? Ive been fiddeling with this for AGES, getting M:1 conversions to work but not this.

Any help appreciated.

Friday, January 27, 2006 2:34 PM

Answers

• Maybe this thread on currency conversions can help you?

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=151917&SiteID=1

>>

11-29-2005, 8:29 PM UTC
    Michael Barrett Jensen

Posts 41
    Measure expressions and currency conversion
    Was this post helpful ?

OK - here is my scenario... I have a fact table containing one measure: Sales. The values of the measure are stored in the same currency (DKK) for all records. In another fact table I have exchange rates for four different currencies per day for a 15 year period (approx. 22000 records). I have built a cube around these fact tables containing two measure groups.

Measure Group 1
    Measure: Sales
    Dimensions: Time, Product, Company

Measure Group 2
    Measure: Exchange rate
    Dimensions: Time, Currency

The only shared dimension between the two measure group is thus Time... The currency dimension contains one attribute hierarchy (CurrencyCode) with IsAggregatable set to False and DefaultMember set to DKK.

For the measure Sales, I have created a measure expression like this:

[Measures].[Sales] / [Measures].[Currency]

I thought this should work - i.e. give me the opportunity to select any of the four available currencies and have the value of Sales displayed accordingly. However - it does not. Instead my Sales measures is multiplied by 4, which corresponds to the number of currencies for which I have exchange rates in my exchange rate fact table. Why is this? Am I not modelling the scenario correctly?

I hope someone can help, since this really puzzles me!

Michael

11-30-2005, 12:06 PM UTC
    Chris Webb

Posts 31
    Answer Re: Measure expressions and currency conversion
    Was this post helpful ?

Hi Michael,

I think I might know what's going on here: you need to give your Currency dimension a many-to-many relationship with Measure Group 1 using Measure Group 2 as the intermediate measure group. Does this work?

Regards,

Chris

Blog at http://spaces.msn.com/members/cwebbbi/

>>

Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:32 AM