Access Start Menu folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to go into the my user profile to access the Start Menu folder to re-arrange some of the icons and add a folder for all my Adobe programs so there isn't a huge list in the All Programs menu but I keep getting 'Access is Denied'. I even tried under my Administrator account but that gave the same error.

Before anyone gets it in their head that I'm messing around on a system that's not mine, you're wrong. I own Windows 7 Professional with a legit key. I'm the sole user and administrator of the machine. UAC is already turned off. I even tried to change the security permissions and ownership but go the same 'Access is Denied' error.

I'm getting quite irritated that I can't even access a folder on MY own system. Seriously considering a switch to Linux and discontinuing my support of Windows. Bad enough that I'm used as the in-house tech support for my employer and I'm not even part of the IT group.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:56 AM

Answers

• Hi lil_mac,

Please try to check the permission of the folder follow the steps firstly:

1. Right-click the folder you want to work with.
    2. From the pop-up menu, select Properties, and then in the Properties dialog box click the Security tab.
    3. In the Name list box, select the user, contact, computer, or group whose permissions you want to view. If the permissions are dimmed, it means the permissions are inherited from a parent object.

For your information, please review this article File and Folder Permissions to learn more about foler permissions.

What’s more, please review this article How do I open a file if I get an access denied message? to get more help.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

• Marked as answer by Judy_Zhou Friday, August 23, 2013 5:17 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:57 AM

All replies

• Hi lil_mac,

Please try to check the permission of the folder follow the steps firstly:

1. Right-click the folder you want to work with.
    2. From the pop-up menu, select Properties, and then in the Properties dialog box click the Security tab.
    3. In the Name list box, select the user, contact, computer, or group whose permissions you want to view. If the permissions are dimmed, it means the permissions are inherited from a parent object.

For your information, please review this article File and Folder Permissions to learn more about foler permissions.

What’s more, please review this article How do I open a file if I get an access denied message? to get more help.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

• Marked as answer by Judy_Zhou Friday, August 23, 2013 5:17 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:57 AM
  • You can try as suggested by Lany Zhang. In addition to that, kindly note that the issue can also be caused due to a malware as you mentioned you turned off UAC. Scan the PC for any malware using a trusted antivirus software.

Balaji Kundalam

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:32 PM