none
Looking for <<< Time Tracking app >>> with "Start" and "Stop" buttons and then save hours to a task on MS project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

for those who use MS Project online, there is an App (thyrd part or native) to control employees time tracking and save that hours to a task on MS Project Online?

Let say that in the project has a task named "Draw power plant" and assigned to user 'John', so every day he opens the app, select project name, select task assigned to him, click on "start" and then go back to 3D software to design some parts, after 45min of work he receives an incoming phone call and then he click on the "stop" button, after 12min of phone call he goes back to work and click the 'start' button again in a way to compute all spended time for that taks.

>>> Can we track minute by minute or second by second using an app to control it instead to have users after work manually fullfill the hours expended?

* Obviously 'John' is a employee with his Cost/Hour to also be tracked.

** We have a customer who works selling services based in hour to another companies, doing designs; some 'consultants/technicians' have more skill and the price/hour is not the same to everyone.

• Edited by 9073241516 Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:37 AM update info
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First comment is that you are requesting a very high granularity. I think it would be impossible to manage for the workers and for the project managers. And I think it is too much to ask to workers to click on a button each time they start and stop. So obviously they won't do it correctly, believe my 15th years experience on PPM tools (and my colleagues might confirm). Too many operations for managing time tracking, too much time to check that data are relevant. Project Online/Server is a project and portfolio management tool to track project progress, portfolio health and not a micro-task/management tracking tool. 

Why not managing at day level with a weekly timesheet? You might not be 100% accurate but in overall, you'll reach a good balance of data quality if you have change management and processes in place.

So basically I would not recommend this.

That being said, there is no native (MS) app for time tracking on Project Online. There used to be one in 2016 but it has been deprecated. You might find 3rd party app such as this one:

https://www.senseiprojectsolutions.com/apps/sensei-time-reporter/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:40 PM
  • My colleague, Guillaume, is correct.  The "timer" functionality you are describing could be found in a dedicated timesheet system, but this functionality is not available in the Timesheet page of PWA in Project Online.  Sorry, but hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2020 4:48 PM