none
Database Mail not working after SQL Server 2016 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Expensive,

After installing SQL SERVER 2016 SP3, my DB server no longer sends emails. I have some job that notifies me and this is not happening anymore.

I'm using SQL SERVER 2016 ENTERPRISE SP3.

Database Mail Log error message: The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2022-03-17T11:25:47). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (Failure sending mail.).

The result of the SQL query below shows correct result.

SELECT * FROM msdb.sys.service_queues WHERE name = N'ExternalMailQueue'

SQL Agent Alert System is enabled.

I have already performed the steps below without success.https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb3186435-fix-sql-server-2016-database-mail-does-not-work-on-a-computer-that-does-not-have- the-net-framework-3-5-installed-or-stops-working-after-applying-sql-server-update-3480beb6-1329-74d6-0f3a-e8e3d893326c

Our email account is Office 365. Testing of sending email with the account works.

Remembering, it stopped working after I updated to SP3. Help?

Friday, March 18, 2022 5:00 PM

All replies

• foreseen this but looking for some updates.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2022 9:25 AM
  • Initial Database Mail troubleshooting

1. Review the Database Mail log and sysmail (sysmail_event_log) views for mails that have already been sent or attempted to send by using DatabaseMail.exe.
    2. Send a test mail. If the test mail is successfully sent, then focus on the details of the messages that aren't sent. If the test mail isn't sent, focus on troubleshooting the test mail and ignore the mails that are unsuccessfully sent before.
    3. If you suspect that the SMTP server settings are incorrect or there is a problem with the account that's used to send the mail, use PowerShell to send a test mail.
    4. If you fail to send the mail by using PowerShell, it's likely to be an SMTP configuration issue and an SMTP administrator is needed.

Greetings,
    Peter

Tuesday, July 12, 2022 5:16 AM
  • If you are experiencing trouble with Database Mail not working after installing SQL Server 2016 SP3, there may be a problem that requires the installation of Microsoft KB2999226. This update resolves an issue where certain applications that use SMBv2 (Windows File Sharing) might fail when connecting to a server running SQL Server 2016. If this happens, try re-installing or updating these applications to resolve the issue.

If you have more issues about your post so kindly click this to solve your problem regarding mmcgbl.com/application-and-database-migration-services/.

Friday, July 15, 2022 8:12 AM
  • This problem was fixed in the following cumulative updates for SQL Server:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4013106-cumulative-update-2-for-sql-server-2016-sp1-bffda53c-ebea-ae6d-9392-938b6e68efb8

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3182270
    Thursday, July 21, 2022 4:30 PM
  • Here are basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Review the Database Mail log and sysmail (sysmail_event_log) views for mails that have already been sent or attempted to send by using DatabaseMail.exe.
    2. Send a test mail. If the test mail is successfully sent, then focus on the details of the messages that aren't sent. If the test mail isn't sent, focus on troubleshooting the test mail and ignore the mails that are unsuccessfully sent before.
    3. If you suspect that the SMTP server settings are incorrect or there is a problem with the account that's used to send the mail, use PowerShell to send a test mail.
    4. If you fail to send the mail by using PowerShell, it's likely to be an SMTP configuration issue and an SMTP administrator is needed.

Greetings,
    Peter

Monday, August 8, 2022 6:22 AM