none
RDP to Windows 10 client in SBS 2011 domain RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen an article regarding this on Third Tier but I am struggling to follow the instructions...

https://www.thirdtier.net/introducing-windows-10-into-your-sbs-2011-standard-network/

Specifically, the bit that starts with "Adjust the group policy to allow RDP access to Windows 10 machines"

They don't appear to be explicit enough for me. Perhaps someone could expand on them a bit please? Which msc is in play at any given time? The gpmc.msc is the only one explicitly mentioned and that in a previous section. I cannot find the policy settings in that msc to add a new policy. Nor can I find where to "click on create a GPO in this domain". Any expansion/clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tricky

EDIT: RDP does not work remotely via RWA and also does not work on the local network either from, say, a Windows 7 client. I just get a message saying that the client cannot be contacted. If exact wording is needed I will attempt to reproduce and get exact wording when I next visit the site, hopefully tomorrow. RDP does work to the server and to Windows 7 clients.

• Edited by tricky300 Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:05 PM
    Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:00 PM

Answers

• hi,
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer  and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
      is your sbs 2011 standard or sbs 2011 essentials?
    2 where do your sbs2011 use ,in the business environment or home environment ?
      if you use SBS2011 in business environment ,did you consider migrate SBS2011 to high version to support win10 easily. because win10 not support SBS2011 in below Microsoft offical document and SBS2011 is end of lifecycle .
    Supported operating systems for client computers
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/ff397976(v=ws.11)
    3 "EDIT: RDP does not work remotely via RWA and also does not work on the local network either from, say, a Windows 7 client."
    do you mean you can not RWA to win7 client computer?

4"Adjust the group policy to allow RDP access to Windows 10 machines"
    from your description ,you maybe need to refer below document to set win10 wmi filter
    Create WMI Filters for the GPO
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-firewall/create-wmi-filters-for-the-gpo
    How to Create a Windows 10 WMI Filters in Group Policy
    https://www.msptechs.com/how-to-create-a-windows-10-wmi-filters-in-group-policy/

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:43 AM

All replies

• hi,
    I am researching your issue ,thanks for your waiting.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 5, 2019 3:50 PM
  • Thanks for taking the time to investigate.
    Friday, April 5, 2019 6:07 PM
  • hi,
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer  and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
      is your sbs 2011 standard or sbs 2011 essentials?
    2 where do your sbs2011 use ,in the business environment or home environment ?
      if you use SBS2011 in business environment ,did you consider migrate SBS2011 to high version to support win10 easily. because win10 not support SBS2011 in below Microsoft offical document and SBS2011 is end of lifecycle .
    Supported operating systems for client computers
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-essentials-sbs/ff397976(v=ws.11)
    3 "EDIT: RDP does not work remotely via RWA and also does not work on the local network either from, say, a Windows 7 client."
    do you mean you can not RWA to win7 client computer?

4"Adjust the group policy to allow RDP access to Windows 10 machines"
    from your description ,you maybe need to refer below document to set win10 wmi filter
    Create WMI Filters for the GPO
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/windows-firewall/create-wmi-filters-for-the-gpo
    How to Create a Windows 10 WMI Filters in Group Policy
    https://www.msptechs.com/how-to-create-a-windows-10-wmi-filters-in-group-policy/

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Monday, April 8, 2019 6:43 AM
  • I believe for your issue you don't necessarily need a group policy, you can setup the Win10 PC's manually to allow remote access (they default to "off").  Just go to the PC's System control panel / "Advanced System Settings" and turn on "allow remote connections to this computer" in the Remote tab.

You need to do this on each PC you want to remote into and optionally select users as well.  Adding the group policy mentioned in the post allows you to make this setting on the SBS server and have it automatically go to each PC in your network.  It does require some expertise to set those up, suggest reading some articles on it and being careful as you can cause issues quite easily.

-- Al

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:54 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I will investigate the links to see if the provide clarity.

Extract: "RDP does work to the server and to Windows 7 clients."

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:13 AM
  • The Win10 PCs are set to permit remote access. This has been verified.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:14 AM
  • A temporary "solution" has been found. Simply it was to enable inbound firewall rules on the Win10 client...

Remote Desktop - User Mode (TCP-In)

Remote Desktop - User Mode (UDP-In).

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:17 AM
  • Many thanks tricky300, modifying the local wf.msc inbound settings on the Win10 box worked for me for Remote Web Access and RDP via SBS2011 and from other Windows 7/10 machines to Win10 computers. Thanks again!

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Looks like Windows 10 Pro "Remote Desktop-User Mode" by default is disable in the Firewall Inbound Rules.

So you do need to enable the Firewall Inbound Rules for both:
    Remote Desktop - User Mode (TCP-In) 
    Remote Desktop - User Mode (UDP-In)

Thanks Tricky300. 

• Edited by Nick3836 Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:02 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:48 PM