Color-coding email external email recipients in the To field when composing an email RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for a convenient and visual way to easily identify when I add someone external to my organization in the To field of an email.  There have been occasions where I accidentally add someone to an email string who is outside my organization, and if there was a way to easily see that (e.g., maybe those names could be red or something), that could help with accidental data spills.  I like how Outlook bolds in black text groups that I add to the To field; I'm looking for that same kind of visual impact for when I add an external party to an email.

Many thanks!

James

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

Are you using Exchange server? There is a built-in function on Exchange server: MailTip, which could help inform you about external recipients. When you add external recipient, you will see following MailTip:

By default, this MailTip is turned off. You can turn it on using the Set-OrganizationConfig cmdlet.

Set-OrganizationConfig -MailTipsExternalRecipientsTipsEnabled $true

We can also use mail flow rules to restrict the user from sending emails to external users.

As far as I know, Outlook client doesn’t have such an option to highlight external recipients in ‘To’ field. I searched many articles and find that we can use VBA to get a warning about external recipients.

Get a Warning When Sending Emails to the Persons outside Your Company

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, August 26, 2019 5:12 AM
    Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Thanks Perry.  That's helpful, albeit not quite the solution I was hoping to uncover.  Perhaps this could be a new feature for a future version of Outlook.  :)
    Monday, August 26, 2019 4:42 PM
  • Thanks Perry.  That's helpful, albeit not quite the solution I was hoping to uncover.  Perhaps this could be a new feature for a future version of Outlook.  :)

If you have more concerns on this feature, it is encouraged to visit the Outlook user voice forum: https://outlook.uservoice.com/ to vote for a similar idea or post your own.

It is a place for customers to provide feedback about Outlook. What’s more, if an idea is highly voted there by other customers, Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:39 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:39 AM