Configuring DirectAccess in Windows Server 2012 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I am configuring Direct Access using http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj204618

When I am in Powershell in step 3a.  I get this error:

I substituted “www.contoso.com” with my external RWW URL: remote.mytestdomain.com  

Running this for the 1st time, I am a clueless nube.  Any ideas?  TIA,

Scott

• Edited by scott.buchanan Sunday, September 30, 2012 5:25 PM more info
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 11:59 PM

Answers

• The Configure DirectAccess in Windows Server 2012 Essentials directions just changed.  I will start over using the new directions.

Scott

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:35 AM

All replies

• Do you have te certificate configured properly?

Check what is in the variables that you run. ie $nlscert.  And the Adapter variable. If they are empty it will fail.

Can it resolve the FQDN  remote.mytestdomain.copm (or what you use)?

Monday, October 1, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Hi,

The article you mentioned is correct to configure Direct Access on Windows Server 2012 Essentials. There are 9 steps included, please make sure that you have followed the Step 1 & 2 properly before moving forward to Step 3.

At the same time, if you followed the Step 1 & 2 according to the link you mentioned, please add the following parameter at the end of the Windows PowerShell command:

-Verbose

Install-RemoteAccess -NoPrerequisite  -DAInstallType FullInstall  -InternetInterface $Adapter  -InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress "www.contoso.com" -nlscertificate $nlscert –force -Verbose

Then post back the result you get.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by James Xiong Monday, October 1, 2012 7:51 AM
    Monday, October 1, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Thanks for the responses.

The Godday cert is installed and RWW works https://remote.geexxxxxx.com  (domain name is masked).

Steps one and two are done, I will rerun those steps.

I may not understand the network location server part.

My server name is server.gee.local

Do I use the same server name server.gee.local or use DirectAccess-NLS.gee.local for the network location server in step 2?

Step 3a, do I use the internal server name server.gee.local or the external name remote.geexxx.com?

I

Scott

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:28 PM
  • In step 2 i used DirectAccess-NLS.gee.local. Its just for detecting if the client on the local network or not.

In step 3a you use the public FQDN. In your case remote.geexxx.com

//Magnus

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Thanks for the clarification. 

Started over and get this is step 3a:

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> $Adapter = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Filter "NetEnabled=$true").NetConnectionI
    d
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $Certs = dir cert:\LocalMachine\My
    PS C:\Windows\system32> $nlscert = $certs | Where-Object{$_.Subject –like “*CN=DirectAccess-NLS*”}
    PS C:\Windows\system32>
    PS C:\Windows\system32> #Install DirectAccess. Replace the “www.contoso.com” below with the FQDN for the server
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-RemoteAccess -NoPrerequisite  -DAInstallType FullInstall  -InternetInterface $Adapter  -
    InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force$Adapter = (Get-WmiOb
    ject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Filter "NetEnabled=$true").NetConnectionId
    Install-RemoteAccess : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'force$Adapter'.
    At line:1 char:190
    + ... icate $nlscert –force$Adapter = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Filt ...
    +                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-RemoteAccess], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Install-RemoteAccess

PS C:\Windows\system32> $nlscert = $certs | Where-Object{$_.Subject –like “*CN=DirectAccess-NLS*”}
    PS C:\Windows\system32> #Install DirectAccess. Replace the “www.contoso.com” below with the FQDN for the server
    PS C:\Windows\system32> Install-RemoteAccess -NoPrerequisite  -DAInstallType FullInstall  -InternetInterface $Adapter  -
    InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force

Not sure what this means.

TIA,

Scott

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:54 PM
  • I added replaced the last line with

Install-RemoteAccess -NoPrerequisite  -DAInstallType FullInstall  -InternetInterface $Adapter  -InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force -Verbose

as James suggested and got this:

Windows PowerShell

PS C:\Windows\system32> $Adapter = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Filter "NetEnabled=$true").NetConnectionI
    d
    InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force -Verbose$Adapter = (
    Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Filter "NetEnabled=$true").NetConnectionId
    Install-RemoteAccess : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Verbose$Adapter'.
    At line:1 char:197
    + ... nlscert –force -Verbose$Adapter = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Fi ...
    +                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Install-RemoteAccess], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Install-RemoteAccess

InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force -Verbose

TIA,

Scott

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:13 PM
  • I put a space after -verbose:

$Adapter = (Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_NetworkAdapter -Filter "NetEnabled=$true").NetConnectionId
    $Certs = dir cert:\LocalMachine\My
    $nlscert = $certs | Where-Object{$_.Subject –like “*CN=DirectAccess-NLS*”}

#Install DirectAccess. Replace the “www.contoso.com” below with the FQDN for the server
    Install-RemoteAccess -NoPrerequisite  -DAInstallType FullInstall  -InternetInterface $Adapter  -InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force -Verbose

and I get this:

Windows PowerShell

d
    InternalInterface $Adapter -ConnectToAddress remote.geewizwally.com -nlscertificate $nlscert –force -Verbose
    VERBOSE: Retrieving server GPO details...
    Install-RemoteAccess : The Remote Access role is not installed on server localhost.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-RemoteAccess -NoPrerequisite  -DAInstallType FullInstall  -InternetInter ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (PS_RemoteAccess:root/Microsoft/...PS_RemoteAccess) [Install-RemoteAccess]
       , CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : REMOTEACCESS 126,Install-RemoteAccess

TIA,

Scott

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Is there a demo video or slides that shows me a successful Direct Access Install? I have not experienced this, so I have a difficult time with this.

Scott

Saturday, October 6, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Is there any error in the eventlog?

Is there anything more special with your installation?

Check the parameters. that there is valid information in them.

$Adapter

Should contain "Ethernet"

$Certs Should contain all Certs installed on the computer.

$nlscert Should contain your Cert that you created for Remote Access in previous steps.

If you named the certificate to anything else then "DirectAccess-NLS" you should change the line

$nlscert = $certs | Where-Object{$_.Subject –like “*CN=DirectAccess-NLS*”}

To represent what you named it.

Regards

//Magnus

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:15 AM
  • The Configure DirectAccess in Windows Server 2012 Essentials directions just changed.  I will start over using the new directions.

Scott

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:35 AM
  • Did you ever fix this? What resources did you use to find what was causing the problem?

thank you

Mark

Mark R Bracking

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:35 AM
  • I tried:

http://titlerequired.com/2012/10/15/enable-directaccess-on-windows-server-2012-essentials/

Workstation backup now fails and the DriectAccess laptop cannot connect to Direct Access, and not while in the LAN I cannot get a domain network profile, just private.

It would be a joy to experience a working direct access network to get that experience.  Or configure something that works so I know what to expect.

Scott

Friday, December 7, 2012 4:28 AM