Message undeliverable (Recipient not found) in Hybrid environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Hope you can guide me to a solution with the following issue. Ours is an hybrid Exchange 2016 / Office 365 environment. Most mailboxes and distribution lists have been migrated to O365, some functional (shared) mailboxes have remained on-premises.

Case is as follows: UserA (O365 mailbox) has an on-premises shared mailbox added to her account (through Account Settings > Advanced > Mailboxes). When UserA sends an e-mail from her own mailbox (as herself) to a Distribution List hosted in O365, no issue. If she tries to Send As the shared mailbox, she immediately gets an Undeliverable message back that states Remote Server returned '550 5.1.10 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipientNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup'

This Undeliverable is generated by the On-premises server.

I've been searching online for a similar case and its solution to no avail so far.

If anyone can think of something, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Chris, BE

Friday, May 17, 2019 6:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please ensure Office 365 accepted domain exists Onprem domain suffix  as Internal Relay and send connector created for mail flow routing from Office 365 to Onprem.

Or

Can you create for shared mailbox SMTP ID as mail contact in Office 365 and try and confirm

Thanks & Regards, Kumar N

Friday, May 17, 2019 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

Please ensure Office 365 accepted domain exists Onprem domain suffix  as Internal Relay and send connector created for mail flow routing from Office 365 to Onprem.

Or

Can you create for shared mailbox SMTP ID as mail contact in Office 365 and try and confirm

Thanks & Regards, Kumar N

Agree with Kumar. In addition, to make Send-As work, we should add the permission manually in both environments:

First run the following command on your on-premises server:

Add-ADPermission -Identity "shared_mailbox" -User "UserA" -AccessRights ExtendedRight -ExtendedRights "Send As"

Then run the corresponding command from Exchange Online PowerShell:

Add-RecipientPermission -Identity "shared_mailbox" -Trustee "UserA" -AccessRights SendAs

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Monday, May 27, 2019 9:58 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Can you create for shared mailbox SMTP ID as mail contact in Office 365 and try and confirm

Hi Kumar,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I must confess Exchange is a bit outside my line of work... Could you give me more details about the previous, or direct me to an online resource? My searches haven't been very successful.

Thanks in advance!

Chris, BE

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:36 AM
  • Can you create for shared mailbox SMTP ID as mail contact in Office 365 and try and confirm

Hi Kumar,

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I must confess Exchange is a bit outside my line of work... Could you give me more details about the previous, or direct me to an online resource? My searches haven't been very successful.

Thanks in advance!

Chris, BE

Hi Chris,

Did you try my suggestions here? 

===============

Add the permission manually in both environments:

First run the following command on your on-premises server:

Add-ADPermission -Identity "shared_mailbox" -User "UserA" -AccessRights ExtendedRight -ExtendedRights "Send As"

Then run the corresponding command from Exchange Online PowerShell:

Add-RecipientPermission -Identity "shared_mailbox" -Trustee "UserA" -AccessRights SendAs

================

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Manu Meng Friday, May 24, 2019 9:51 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 9:57 AM