Sequenced application won't Launch whilst monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to sequence an application called Sibelius 5. The application installs fine but will not launch whilst the sequencer is Monitoring. If I stop the monitoring the application will open. I wondered if any one had run into this problem before?

Thank you
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You could try to deploy it - I have seen some instances where that worked...

/Znack
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Thanks, we did try that but the application launches and just shuts down straight away.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Hello,

I would make sure that pre-reqs are available before sequencing, aswell as to the machine you deploy to.

It sounds like visual c++ is missing, but well .. troubleshooting with procmon / reading the system requirments would probably tell you this immedietaly.

/Znack
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:18 PM
  • How are you trying to launch the application. ie through icon or directly double clicking the executable.
    GNU developer by choice ....
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:28 AM
  • Often, the shortcut made by the installer will not work while in the sequencer, but as this shortcut is republished via the OSD it is OK when deployed.  Microsoft claims it is because the installer does the shortcut wrong, but no matter how you look at it - if it works in real life then it should work in the sequencer - it is a bug. 

Anyway, when the shortcut doesn't work, right click on it and select properties.  Copy the actuall command, then paste into a command prompt or "start->run".  Always seems to work for me.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Often, the shortcut made by the installer will not work while in the sequencer, but as this shortcut is republished via the OSD it is OK when deployed.  Microsoft claims it is because the installer does the shortcut wrong, but no matter how you look at it - if it works in real life then it should work in the sequencer - it is a bug. 

Anyway, when the shortcut doesn't work, right click on it and select properties.  Copy the actuall command, then paste into a command prompt or "start->run".  Always seems to work for me.

I thought this had everything to do with MSI -based "intelligent" or advertised shortcuts and nothing to do with installer doing things wrong (and it's due to SystemGuard registry virtualization messing up with the MSI installation information, although I cannot understand why that shoud even happen during monitoring mode)? At least for those shortcuts there isn't any command to copy from properties!

For "traditional" shortcuts, maybe it's because working directory is different from that of what was specified in the shortcut? I have seen in the past - at least once - application which installed a shortcut having working directory set to it's own data directory or something; this prevented application from starting correctly, but when changed to application's main directory everything worked ok! This had something to do with application loading DLLs or data files without using absolute paths, and it just happened that some of those files weren't on the %path%..

/Kalle
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:29 AM