none
MS Project 2007 - How do I install a loaded COM? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I am using Project 2007.  When I click on COM Add-ins I can see a list of 5 Add-in Components.  All 5 have boxes with green check marks in them.  All say "Load on Demand, Not Currently Loaded."  So, how do I load one that I would like to use?  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 4:49 PM

Answers

• Before you give up hope - is the cost resource assignment a possibility or are you saying they just enter one giant lump sum against the project summary task?  I just did a quick test with Budget costs and that is exportable to a time-scaled view -- and it requires one entry against the project summary task.

There's a possibility that you could contract with someone to produce the VBA export that you are looking for.  You might try posting in the Programming forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads

Rod is known to hang out there as are a few other very skilled MVPs (and former MVPs) with skills in development.

Pleasure talking to you as well, and good luck.

Julie

• Marked as answer by ShadowDancer33 Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Thank You Sapna - I have seen this article already.  Perhaps I did not ask the correct question.  When I try to customize the toolbar to install the COM Add-in, I do not see it listed in the list of "All Commands" even though it is listed in the list of available COM Add-ins.  The Component is called "Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel".  Perhaps I just do not know how this item appears in the "All Commands" list?

Thanks again,

Barry

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Hi ShadowDancer33,

I'm guessing you already have the COM Add-in dialog box available.  When I check my installation of Project 2007 I see 4 available add-ins:

Adjust Dates
    Compare Project Versions Utility
    Copy Picture to Office
    PERT Analysis

I'm not sure what the 5th is that you see.

The Adjust Dates COM Add-in is run off of the Analysis toolbar as is the Copy Picture to Office and PERT Analysis command.  However if you don't see the Analysis toolbar it's likely you need to unload and re-load the COM Add-ins.  Show the COM Add-In dialog box, uncheck Adjust Dates.  Close the dialog box.  Re-open the check (enable) the add-in.  Now do you have the Analysis toolbar?  Is the Adjust dates command on it? Repeat with Copy Picture of Office and PERT Analysis.

The Compare Project Versions Utility is also a toolbar.  Uncheck it.  Re-check it and see if you have the Compare Project Versions toolbar in the toolbar list.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Hi Barry,

The Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel does not work in Project 2007.  I'm guessing you have 2007 installed over Project 2003.  The Analyze command has been replaced by Visual Reports in 2007.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/what-happened-to-the-analyze-timescaled-data-in-excel-wizard-HA010171532.aspx

Julie

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Hi July - thanks for the reply.  I do see all 4 of those add-ins (on the Analysis toolbar, etc.).  The fifth add-in on my list is called: "Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel". This is a component I have used often with MS Project 2003, discontinued in 2007.  Visual Reports does not allow me to do the same things I could do with this Wizard and I was hoping to be able to add it to 2007.  Is this not possible???  The .dll is located in the Office11 directory with the other Component Object .dll files.

Thanks,

SD

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Yes, I had seen that article too.  I had also read somewhere that others have been successful adding it in to use with 2007.  Perhaps there is another question I should be asking:

Is there a listing that shows EXACTLY which fields Visual Reports is drawing its data from? 

-SD

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Hi SD,

I think which fields you are pulling from depends upon what Visual Report you're working with.  To the best of my knowledge, the Analyze TS data does not work with 2007.  There have been changes to the db structure.  However, if you are interested in learning VBA (or have some skills all ready), a portion of Rod Gill's book about VBA and Project is on MSDN for free.

See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee355230.aspx

The second chapter deals with time-scaled data.

VBA is the ultimate method of working with the data as you can export to Excel and then do what you need in Excel.

Monday, October 17, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Thanks again Julie - Sadly, not a VBA programmer.  The real issue I have been trying to solve is the apparent fact that I simply cannot extract baseline cost data to Excel using Visual Reports, when it was so easy with the old 2003 Analyze Timebased Data Wizard.  I've just posted another thread about this which is the real crux of my problem.  Here it is again.  If you suggest it I will post it to this forum as well.

Hi - Seems this thread has been around before (see below).  Has anyone found a solution?  This is exactly the problem I have been having and I'm desperately trying to find a work around. I have baseline data at the task and several summary levels (entered monthly via task entry view.)  In the Gantt Table I see all of the Baseline Cost Values in the Baseline Cost column.  When I run a standard Visual Report, such as the EV Over Time report or the Baseline Cost Report, no baseline cost data is exported to Excel.  Really?  A "Baseline Cost" report that fails to export Baseline Cost?  Really?  If there is a solution to this or an easy work-around I am very eager to know what it might be.  Thanks in advance...

-ShadowDancer

Swanse Jack --

I created a sample project in which I specified no Standard Rate information for each resource, assigned resources to each task, and then I added a Fixed Cost value to each task. I baselined the project. I believe I simulated what you have done. I then applied the Baseline Cost report, which I suspect is the Visual Report you applied as well. To my consternation, the Baseline Cost is ZERO for every task and for the project! GRRR! The best I can surmise is that this behavior is a bug in the Visual Report. And unfortunately, I do not know of any workaround. But at least I can confirm the behavior you are seeing. Hope this helps.

--
    Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

"Swansea Jack" <john.phillips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:6D3DF6E9-02A6-48D7-BC8F-01EF02C72C00@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Hi All

There has been a post similar so my apologies if this covers the same ground
    I've created a simple programme (in MSP2007) and want a cheap'n'cheerful
    method of plotting planned costs over time and tracking actual costs which
    I'm inputting manually on a weekly basis.

I've added a 'fixed cost' to each task and baselined the project. But when I
    try to run a visual report (sorry but I hate this feature in 2007, it was
    much easier in 2003), the baseline cost for each task is zero.

Any help ? (OK I know I'm not doing this the right way for the purists - I
    just wanted a quick graph !). Thanks.

--
    Hywl !
    Swansea Jack

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:56 PM
  • SD,

Both the Baseline Cost report and the EV over time report pull data from the assignment cube.  Do you have resources assigned to your tasks?

I was able to get the Baseline Cost report to work using a cost resource assigned to the tasks and inputting the total cost on assignment.

Then the Baseline Cost report runs fine -- but it requires the actual assignments.

Julie

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Thank you Julie - that is exactly the confirmation we were looking for and, unfortunately, exactly NOT the answer we were hoping for.  This is also what my own research and experimentation has confirmed.  I built a practice spreadsheet myself yesterday and got those same results.  I work for a certain large Airline manufacturer as a PM, managing facilities expansion projects.  The contractor on the job hands us a project schedule (created in Project 2007) which we import into our master project schedule.  The overall master project schedule consists of over 8,000 sub-tasks.  Our contractor primarily manages other sub-contractors, and so all of the task financial tracking information is manually entered as summary costs - no resource assignment information whatsoever

Project 2003 used the "Analyze Timescale Data in Excel" wizard and would always faithfully export ALL of our Baseline Cost data to Excel.  The much vaunted Visual Reports of 2007 (and 2010) does not.  I'm so screwed.  I will have to uninstall 2007 and re-install 2003 in order to be able to produce the exact report that management is asking for.  I acknowledge that VBA scripting might be a possible work-around, but I am not versed in it.  Big sigh.  I've been using Project 2010 for the past year (love it!!!) and having to go all the way back to 2003 makes me feel like a Luddite.  So, thanks again for your attention to this matter.  Pleasure talking with you.  -ShadowDancer

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Before you give up hope - is the cost resource assignment a possibility or are you saying they just enter one giant lump sum against the project summary task?  I just did a quick test with Budget costs and that is exportable to a time-scaled view -- and it requires one entry against the project summary task.

There's a possibility that you could contract with someone to produce the VBA export that you are looking for.  You might try posting in the Programming forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads

Rod is known to hang out there as are a few other very skilled MVPs (and former MVPs) with skills in development.

Pleasure talking to you as well, and good luck.

Julie

• Marked as answer by ShadowDancer33 Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:47 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Two good suggestions.  Thanks again!
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:47 PM