Cross forest mailbox migration from SBS2008 to Exchange 2010 SP1 / Need temporary trust? RRS feed

• Question

• (Note: This question was originally posted to the Exchange migration forum, who suggested it be posted to the directory services forum, who suggested I also cross post it here.)

Here's my scenario:

Customer is a law firm (FirmA.com). They merged with another law firm (FirmB.com) about a year ago. We set them up on SBS2008 middle of last year. There are 30 user accounts with Exchange Mailboxes. Now the two firms have decided to part ways, which will leave 12 people from FirmA on the SBS2008 server and the other 18 from FirmB are moving to a new server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 (Domain controller & DNS) and a virtual machine running same OS and Exchange 2010 SP1.

The good news is that from the time of the merger, the email accounts were maintained with their original primary email account. So now I just need to migrate just the users from FirmB to Exchange 2010 SP1. I have the new server built but haven't deployed it yet as they're still in the process of finding a new office space for FirmB, so I have a little time where I can run the 2 servers on the same LAN and get this migration done.

So, here's my question / problem... I've done cross forest migrations before using the steps outlined here (http://msgsense.com/2011/01/18/cross-forest-move-mailbox-request-from-exchange-2003-to-2010/) but since the source server is SBS I can't setup a forest trust relationship between the old and new domains. Is there a way to create a temporary trust for the migration of these accounts and mailboxes?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:05 PM

Answers

• No trusts allowed. Not temporary, not otherwise ... when in an SBS domain.

For 18 people why not just export the users & mailbox data and setup fresh and new in the new Forest?

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by BrianWillis Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:46 PM

All replies

• No trusts allowed. Not temporary, not otherwise ... when in an SBS domain.

For 18 people why not just export the users & mailbox data and setup fresh and new in the new Forest?

/kj
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by BrianWillis Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:49 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:46 PM
  • That's what I figured, but was hoping to take advantage of migration so it would update the user's laptop running Outlook so I wouldn't have to go around and touch each one.

Just looking for the most efficient way to do the job.

Thanks,

Brian

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:50 PM