migrating clients from wsus to sccm RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, i have a question regarding installing new clients. Before sccm 2012 i had sccm 2007 and i didnt use software updates but wsus. Now when i migrated to sccm 2012 i use software updates. So when i deployed agent to computers I also deleted gpo pointing to wsus. Then I think in between before some clients installed sms agent (agent pushed and also in gpo) they got some updates from internet for example ie11. This is very bad for me cause i had to uninstall ie11 because my apps dont work on it. So question is how can i prevent it in future when ill be migrating more clients???
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:01 AM

Answers

• Disable Automatic updates everything will be fine.

From Jason's blog

"When ConfigMgr wants to do anything related to software updates, it directly controls the WUA to achieve the desired result: this includes update scans, re-evaluations, and installation. Thus, all of the other settings are essentially harmless or have no effect."

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:13 PM

All replies

• Couldn't it be as simple as not deleting the GPO before the ConfigMgr client is installed?

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:41 AM
  • Hi

The WSUS GPO pointing to your other WSUS server must be deleted as you have already done. Configure the client to turn off any automatic updates.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:08 AM
  • What do You mean by that? Should I create gpo that disables automatic updates? Or what?
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:39 AM
  • Yes you should create a gpo that disables Automatic Updates and read the info suggested by Richk.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 11:07 AM
  • You can also refer the MS article regarding WSUS settings enable/disable

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939844(v=ws.10).aspx

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:35 PM
  • But if i disable autmoatic updates with gpo will clients pick up updates from sup? Isnt it somehow connected i mean sccm uses wua to know which updates are necessary. 
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:01 PM

From Jason's blog

"When ConfigMgr wants to do anything related to software updates, it directly controls the WUA to achieve the desired result: this includes update scans, re-evaluations, and installation. Thus, all of the other settings are essentially harmless or have no effect."

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:13 PM
  • Unfortunately, with Config Manager once you have a GPO writing the intranet path, it's very difficult to work around it without either rebuilding or specifying your Config Manager SUP path.

I had exactly the same thing... WSUS intranet path set via GPO pointing to a WSUS server. Then we migrated to Config Manager 2007. I removed the GPO setting to Not Configured, but every client reported a GPO mismatch in the wuahandler.log, as the path was being "overwritten by a higher authority".

Annoyingly, it was it was being overwritten to "NULL", as the policy was now set to Not Configured.

I posted on here about it and was basically told that "GPO/Registry can be qwerky like that".

The only thing I could do was set the intranet path as the Config Manager SUP. Then the errors cleared up.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:43 AM

From Jason's blog

It should be stated that *most* of the other settings have no control. The intranet path, if set via GPO, has to match what Config Manager would write to the local GPO or software updates won't work.
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 10:44 AM

From Jason's blog

Tried that it works as You said- thx a lot :)
    Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:32 AM