Sharepoint 2016- ID column in List RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sharepoint LIst. Renamed ID column to "Submitted By" that can accept Person or Group.

By default, it takes the person's name who enter the rest of the list details. I want to change the name to my manager's name. But I am not able to edit it. When I looked up, I found that ID column cannot be edited. Is there a way i can do it at the back end or something? If so, how do I get the backend database info and how do I find the list that I am working with.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:40 PM

All replies

• No, you cannot change the name of the internal ID column or use it for any other purposes outside of its autoincrementing number. You'll need to find a different solution. It may be helpful if you share your exact scenario of what you're attempting to accomplish if you want some ideas on how to go about this.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 9:05 PM
  • Hi A_San, 

I agree with Trevor, you cannot change the name of the internal ID column. 

You can create a new column instead of change ID column. 

To find the Manager, you can create SharePoint 2010 platform Workflow in SharePoint designer 2013, there is a action called “Lookup Manager for User” which is used for finding the manager of a specified user.

This “SharePoint 2016” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Thursday, July 16, 2020 2:42 AM
  • Hi A_San,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:21 AM
  • Hello,

This forum will be locked down, if you still have issues about this question, you can continue to post in here before 8/10/2020. It is recommended to create a new question on Microsoft Q&A, we will continue to support you on the new home.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 8:13 AM