Product Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop which we received from a company that was closing which had Windows Vista on it when it was purchased. There is no product key anywhere on the laptop.  The laptop is not booting up although all the diagnostics indicate that it is fine.  I reset the BIOS as well but that didn't work either. I took it Best Buy and they said it would cost about $200 to diagnose it (that's not even fixing it - just seeing if there is something wrong). They tested the drive itself for free and the only thing they could tell me is that it did not have a user profile. I tried to install another OS (one I have a license for) but the error message that comes up when it has finished loading everything is that there is no hard drive.  The hard drive shows up in the BIOS so I know this is wrong and figure it might be because of the OS I was trying to install. I was wondering if I would be able to get the product code for this laptop directly from Microsoft?  I can provide the serial number and model of the laptop if this will help getting the Vista OS on the laptop working again.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 9:22 PM

All replies

• You would need to contact the manufacturer of your laptop for information regarding a Windows OEM product key.

Carey Frisch

Monday, May 16, 2016 4:00 AM