none
unlock drive when Bitlocker password removed and recovery key lossed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello every body
    I have a serious problem
    i have a external hard that i turned on bitlocker

when i was wanted turning off bitlocker, i removed password then disconnected external hard
    and when i connected hard to pc i saw the drive is locked and i try to unlock 

the pc notify me just unlock with recovery key that unfortunately i don't have any recovery key.

pleaseeeeeeeeee help me

Monday, June 5, 2017 12:25 PM

All replies

• You should have just turn off bitlocker and then remove recovery key.

When bitlocker is enable and recovery key is lost, there is no way to recover it.

Just try to connect it to the original PC when you create the bitlocker and it might be able to turn it off (if it has been added as trusted device).

Monday, June 5, 2017 12:56 PM
  • Try to remember where you put the recovery key. It was mandatory to either print it or save it to a file, so it will be somewhere. Please connect that drive to a pc and use the command (on an elevated command prompt)

manage-bde -protectors -get x:

[x: being the external HD's letter]

to show all possible protectors and quote the output.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 16, 2017 8:43 AM