none
Adding a new internal HD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    My current HD is ailing. I manage to access it using Parted Magic, and all my files are still intact. Still, when I try to boot normally, I'm stuck in the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" step,
    My current HD is a multi boot system, XP, Win7, and Win10.

I bought a new internal HD (ST3000VX006 3TB), and would like to make it into my main storage media. I would like, though, if possible, keep my three OS installation viable.

Is it possible? And if so, how?

I have no experience in adding a new storage medium and therefore, need need instruction, or references to relevant sources.

I'll appreciate any tip or assistance.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ran Chermesh,

Usually we could refer to the following video to replace the hard drive with the "system restore" feature. I am not quite sure whether it will work for multiple boot drive. We could backup the important data then refer to that link to replace the hard drive. If it won`t work, we may consider to perform clean installation then restore the data.
    Restoring your PC after a hard drive failure
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbVT4XQcB1A
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 27, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Thanks MeipoXu.

Unfortunately, I don't have an image or complete updated backup of my systems. All I can do at this moment is access my WinXP system using a boot disk, Parted Magic.

I ran a test with SeaTools as to the health of my HD. It passed SMART testing, but failed a repair run.

I ordered a new HD and hope to be able to copy all my three OSs images to this new media.

If you have any useful tip for this plan, please send. Since I've never coped with such a disaster, any assistance will be appreciated.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi Ran Chermesh,

Cloning the hard drive is not an official method to install Windows and it may result in un-expected behavior. Cloning is out of the support scope.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:23 AM