none
Allow users to be able to add a local and Network Printer on Local Workstation

Question

• I'm trying to modify a policy for users in Gpedit on a local workstation on Windows 7 to allow users to be able to add local and network printers without escalation, but I'm having a heck of a time. It seems that nothing is working. I just want to allow users to be able to install Printers without being prompted for escalation. Any ideas what settings will work in Gpedit?
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 8:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please share us the detail settings of group policy which you have configured and make sure that you have rebooted  the computer or run gpupdate /force command to take effect the configured group policy. Also, you could run gpresult /h to check the detail status of group policy applying.

According to your description, I would suggest to configure the following group polies and have a try:

1. Enable: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Driver Installation\Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these devices setup classes

2. Enable: Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Printers/Point and Print Restrictions and choose : Do not show warning or elevation prompt.

The policy “Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these devices setup classes” allows a limited user to install devices from specific device setup classes and install drivers for the device without requiring elevated permissions. And the option “Do not show warning or elevation prompt” prevents driver installation warning messages and elevation prompts on computers.

You could find more details from the articles as below:

Configure Computer Policy to Allow Non-Administrators to Install Specific Devices

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725772.aspx

Control Printer Driver Installation Security https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 25, 2016 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please share us the detail settings of group policy which you have configured and make sure that you have rebooted  the computer or run gpupdate /force command to take effect the configured group policy. Also, you could run gpresult /h to check the detail status of group policy applying.

According to your description, I would suggest to configure the following group polies and have a try:

1. Enable: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Driver Installation\Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these devices setup classes

2. Enable: Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Printers/Point and Print Restrictions and choose : Do not show warning or elevation prompt.

The policy “Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these devices setup classes” allows a limited user to install devices from specific device setup classes and install drivers for the device without requiring elevated permissions. And the option “Do not show warning or elevation prompt” prevents driver installation warning messages and elevation prompts on computers.

You could find more details from the articles as below:

Configure Computer Policy to Allow Non-Administrators to Install Specific Devices

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725772.aspx

Control Printer Driver Installation Security https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 25, 2016 6:41 AM
  • I there a way to specifically allow users to install drivers from a specific network Print Server with out requiring elevation but not allowing them to install any local printers to their computer.

We have a ton of user on our domain and do not want to have to remote in to install the drivers. The Specific allowing of devices to install is good but we do not want anyone to install a local printer to their computer. Too much of a security risk.

Any Ideas?

Friday, November 03, 2017 6:21 PM