Switch roles for WSUS primary and replica servers RRS feed

• Question

• we currently have 1 Primary WSUS server and 1 replica server on two separate sites. Due to some datacentre changes and also security team requirement, I need to make the Primary server a replica, whilst the current replica becomes the primary. I have tried this approach on a test box, but the automatic approval settings are not been pulled through when I converted the current replica to a standalone.

Further questions are:

1. Can I just used the configuration wizard to switch the roles? will this suffice? what gotchas should I look out for?

2. Will all approved updates remain approved when the replica server is changed to standalone

3. How can I ensure all settings on the primary server is imported to the replica?

Both WSUS servers are running version 6.3 on a Windows 2012R2 server. Any advise will be welcomed. Thank you

Victor

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I have tried this approach on a test box, but the automatic approval settings are not been pulled through when I converted the current replica to a standalone.

We can only approve updates on primary server, which means that the replica server doesn't need the auto approval rules. The replica server synchronizes the approval state of the updates from primary server.

>>1. Can I just used the configuration wizard to switch the roles? will this suffice? what gotchas should I look out for?

Yes. But you need to configure the option manually on the server.

>>2. Will all approved updates remain approved when the replica server is changed to standalone

Yes. The approval status is a property of the updates.

>>3. How can I ensure all settings on the primary server is imported to the replica?

As I have mentioned in the Q1, you need to configure the option manually.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, February 8, 2016 12:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:54 AM
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 4:04 PM