none
Access Denied error accessing BitLocker encrypted fixed drive

Question

• BitLocker was turned on on my previous Windows 7. It was working properly until I had to change my Windows 7 and reinstall it on another drive, this time SSD instead of HDD. After installing Windows 7, I got "Access Denied" error message when i went to unlock the drive. The password was correct and the drive could unlock, but access was denied. I tried the built-in Administrator account and found that it had not this problem. It could access the contents of the drive and unlock. This was while my account was also an administrator of the new Windows. So, I decided to rename login name of the built-in Administrator account to my own and use it instead of my own account. This seemed that resolved the problem. Then, I decided to upgrade this Windows to 10. Now, after upgrading, I can't access the drive with the built-in Administrator account too!

Notes:

1. In my previous Windows which I could see the contents of the drive, I was seeing a tiny lock icon on the root folders (the folders which were located on the root of the drive), while this didn't appear on their sub-folders. What is that?
    2. Now and before upgrading, I might and may access the contents of the drive by using Total Commander. This seems the only way. It can't access and then brings up a dialog and asks for using administrative rights. If I click the button, it may show the contents! why? I'm the administrator already!
    3. Issues like permissions in security or ownership seem not to be applicable, since they're set to both System and Administrators which I think that they're not Windows dependent and use the same GUID around all Windows.
    Monday, December 7, 2015 1:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Hamid,

After read your post, I really understand your condition, it’s did weird.

Maybe you have upgraded to a Windows 8 or Windows 10, so it make you log on system with a Microsoft account by default.

As you said, some users prefer to log on system by a local account, there is an introduction about how to Change Microsoft account to a local account in Windows 8.1, it will help you.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-change-microsoft-live-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/

In addition, you face a problem that Windows needs to delete all files and folders in the partition which system is going to be installed on.

About this condition, we have no choice but to accept, because installing system is bound to clear up a partition for  itself. You have backup your data, it’s wise.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, please confirm that what version of your current Windows 10 system firstly.

Only Windows Pro and higher version have BitLocker, if you use Home version, it doesn’t support BitLocker by designed.

We could use manage-bde –status commands to check whether driver has been protected by BitLocker. Please refer to the website below to get more assistance.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff829849.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In addition, Access Denied problem is usually related to permission, please check to see if your old user account from Windows 7 is still tied to the drive and all its contents.

Open This PC -> right-click drive -> properties -> security tab -> Group or Use Names box. Do you see a long numbered user there. Also, click the Advanced button and find out who the owner is.

Since your system is upgraded from Windows 7, it’s better to clean up all the permissions on that drive that were set by your old user account previous system. There is an useful tool to deal with it, get this tool from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23510

Hope my suggestion could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Please post back at your convenience if we can assist further.
    Just checking in to see if the information is helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 9:23 AM
  • rehi

thanx for the reply. sorry for late, i had lost the link to my question. i also had some efforts resolving the problem and something happened that i couldn't come here.

1. i found that the owner (apparently) caused the problem. let me know whether the built-in accounts like Administrator, Everyone, Guest, etc. and groups like Administrators which are made by Windows itself during installation have the same SID's in all Windows versions/installations? I think it's the case, because i saw the same names (Administrators and Everyone) which i had set with my previous Windows 7 installation. But it said that it couldn't show the owner. weird, because assuming the owner is unknown, the files and folders should be accessible when they are set as the Full Control access in the list. so i decided to change the owner to "Everyone". this solved the problem, while when i had changed the owner to "Administrators" had not solved the problem before. anyway, when the drive is protected by BitLocker, i think i don't need to use security as well to limit access.

i know that this seems weird, because when Administrator which is in group Administrators logins, owner should not differ to be Administrators or Everyone. but this happened.

2. something happened to my Windows, so i had to re-install it. after introducing my hotmail account for the Mail program, it decided to change my account from local to ms. i didn't expect it. it did it without my permission. maybe it could ask me, but it didn't. so i had to login with my password in my hotmail account. it was bothering, because an ms account's password can't be less than 8 characters, but i had chose a 3 digit simpler password. i tried many ways to change my account back to a local account, but i didn't succeed. when i tried gpedit.msc to block microsoft accounts from logging in, i expected that it change back to a local account. i didn't think the built-in Administrator account which was the only admin of the Windows get blocked. my program was still running and the computer was locked and i had no way to login back to my account.

Microsoft! please don't decide for us! if someone wants, it will prefer to use an ms account instead of a local account. why do u force us to switch our accounts to an ms account?! worse is that there's no way back!

so i had to install a new windows. this time it was weird also why it needs to delete all files and folders in the partition which windows is going to be installed on?!!! i had to backup my files in an sd card via an ubuntu live and let windows be installed.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:46 AM
  • Hi Hamid,

After read your post, I really understand your condition, it’s did weird.

Maybe you have upgraded to a Windows 8 or Windows 10, so it make you log on system with a Microsoft account by default.

As you said, some users prefer to log on system by a local account, there is an introduction about how to Change Microsoft account to a local account in Windows 8.1, it will help you.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-change-microsoft-live-to-a-local-account-in-windows-81/

In addition, you face a problem that Windows needs to delete all files and folders in the partition which system is going to be installed on.

About this condition, we have no choice but to accept, because installing system is bound to clear up a partition for  itself. You have backup your data, it’s wise.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 1:57 AM