Outlook 2016 favorites reordering themselves RRS feed

• Question

• Apparently this is a know issue but I have not seen a confirmed response from MS on how to fix.  We have users with Office 2016 Pro Plus enterprise who use the favorite folders feature in Outlook.  Outlook decides to randomly re-order these folders different from how the user has organized them on closing/re-opening.  It appears to happen after adding additional email accounts beyond the default Exchange account, mostly imap accounts like outlook.com and gmail.

The threads below offer suggestions and workarounds.  

https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/322590-outlook-2016-for-windows/suggestions/13546044-outlook-2016-favorites-should-stay-ordered-as-the

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/773fb620-8d58-4025-99f8-abd370a34044/folders-in-the-favorites-section-change-order-after-opening-outlook?forum=outlook

outlook.exe /resetnavpane does not fix the issue.

right clicking on any folder, and saying "open in a new window" puts the folders back into the correct order, but is super annoying and shouldn't need to be done.

In one thread MS acknowledges that the issue exists and has been fixed, but the version number provided does not line up with any sensible version of Outlook 2016 I am aware of.  Our current version Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.4639.1000

Can someone please help us fix this or tell us how to get the fix mentioned in the thread?

Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue happen to all users?

I'd like to also confirm with you whether re-ordered folders were from some specific accounts?

I tested this on my Outlook 2016 (MSO 16.0.4639.1000) on Windows 10 1709 which configured with Outlook.com accounts and IMAP Gmail account. Currently, I haven't reproduced this issue here after closing and re-opening.

Besides, have you checked on the web mail of your Exchange account to see if the order is correct?

What’s more, please try starting Outlook in safe mode and see whether this issue continues. This helps eliminate if the problem is related to any third party add-ins. To do this, please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe, press Enter.

I've noticed that a new version(16.0.4666.1000) was released this month. We could install the newest updates to see if there are any improvements. Please check the details in this article.

If there are any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 16, 2018 3:22 AM
  • thanks.  The question about it affecting every user isn't a realistic question.  Not every users adds multiple email accounts to their Outlook 2016 after adding their work Exchange account, and everyone does not uses the Fav folders option either.  So I am not sure how to help on this one.  I have three users experiencing the prob, and a simple google search reveals thousands of other cases.  They are all executives with work related reason to have these 3rd party email accounts in their Outlook.

Safe mode doesnt fix the problem either.  This appears to be a bug or code related to Outlook.  MS even seems to acknowledge that in one of the threads I posted. There is even a work around which seems to further prove this is a code bug.  How can we get someone from MS to answer my question about the supposed fix version that doesnt seem to add up to any Outlook 2016 versioning?

Last, KB 4011728 was installed on 3/9 per Win Updates, and it did not change the version of Outlook to the one you are mentioning.  I have verified this on several machines in my environment.

Friday, March 16, 2018 3:00 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your update.

According to the reply from this link, this was a known issue for Outlook C2R version.

>>Our current version Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.4639.1000

From the description, you are using MSI version of Outlook. I’ve done lots of research and currently haven’t found any official articles regarding whether this issue also occurs on MSI version of Outlook.

If you have questions about C2R and MSI version of Office, please refer to this link.

Besides, I found an article here which is similar to your case. It writes that if there are problems connecting to the IMAP account, Outlook waits to add the folders from the IMAP account, resulting in reshuffled Favorites. Apart from opening in New Window, we could also put IMAP folders and folders from accounts that aren't in all profiles at the bottom of Favorites and the reshuffling is reduced.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:08 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 1:14 AM
  • thanks, I opened an incident with MS to address.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2018 8:12 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

As the limitation of forum, please pay attention to your case with MS.

It will be much appreciated if you could share the improvements and fix here so that this will benefit other users who is having same issue here. They can easily find the useful information in the forum.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:21 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 7:19 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

Could we know are there any updates with your case with Microsoft?

We will be much appreciate it if you could share the fix here which will benefit other members who is having same issue here.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, March 30, 2018 8:00 AM