none
Is it possible to use a domain account AND a local account on the same machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use my private Surface Pro 4 in my office, too.

In the office we're using Windows AD, at home I have set up local machine accounts only (Workgroup).

Is it possible to use both at the same time?

Your help is appreciated.

Sunday, March 6, 2016 1:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

now first if you have configured your computer to login with a local account, you should join your computer to your domain and login with your domain account by going to, control panel->system, under computer name, domain... click on change settings-> change, and fill the required fields

2nd if you have configured your computer with the domain account, you should go to the computer management, system tools-> local users and groups, and add  a user to users folder.

to login using on of the account please follow the below.

to login using domain account, please fill your credentials as below.

domain_name/domain_username 

example

microsoft\tom

to login with your local account fill the credentials as below,

surface_pro_name\local_account

example

homesurface\administrator

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Monday, March 7, 2016 9:14 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

i guess you have windows 10 or windows 8.1 installed on your surface pro, these type of OS only support 1 session on the machine at a time.

only you can login with one of the users and then with CTRL+ALT+DEL, select switch user and login with the other user.

then you can switch between the users, but only use 1 at a time.

Sunday, March 6, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. I comprehend. And to polyfill missing detail to my question: I don't want to run two user sessions at the same time.

I was more aiming at how I can configure Windows 10 (Enterprise) to utilize both (one at a time).

When installing Windows 10, the setup lets me choose whether to set up Windows 10 for a local account or to set up Windows 10 for an AD account. I couldn't find information on how to set up Windows to allow both kinds of login.

How would I set up Windows 10 to allow for logging in with both, either local account or AD account, after setup has finished?

Still people out there alive using the keyboard?

Working with SQL Server/Office and their poor keyboard support they seem extinct...

Sunday, March 6, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

now first if you have configured your computer to login with a local account, you should join your computer to your domain and login with your domain account by going to, control panel->system, under computer name, domain... click on change settings-> change, and fill the required fields

2nd if you have configured your computer with the domain account, you should go to the computer management, system tools-> local users and groups, and add  a user to users folder.

to login using on of the account please follow the below.

to login using domain account, please fill your credentials as below.

domain_name/domain_username 

example

microsoft\tom

to login with your local account fill the credentials as below,

surface_pro_name\local_account

example

homesurface\administrator

• Marked as answer by BetterToday Monday, March 7, 2016 9:14 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2016 7:04 AM
  • Brilliant answer.

Thanks a lot!

Still people out there alive using the keyboard?

Working with SQL Server/Office and their poor keyboard support they seem extinct...

Monday, March 7, 2016 9:14 PM