none
How to run Homer.exe under managed account RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are using Steady State on laptops purchased for an after school program at our church, and have installed a PAC file to block access to undesireable web sites. As part of the installation, the suggestion was made to install a lightweight web server called Homer (www.funkytoad.com) which displays an image of your choice when the localhost web server is accessed. This is in lieu of the "This page cannot be displayed" message. Startup of Homer is via a shortcut in the All Users startup folder. When run from a privileged account, it works great, but not from a managed account set at Medium security on both tabs.

I'm open for suggestions/solutions. I tried running it from the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run key, and that generates an error message (although it does start).

Thanks,

Skip

Monday, January 12, 2009 12:37 PM

Answers

• Well, it's always good to find the solution: the command to start the server was "C:\Program Files\Homer\Homer.exe" <switches>, and putting the <switches> inside the double quotes solved the problem.

I know many probably have their URL filtering done at the router, but for small deployments, using a PAC file is very cost effective. The URL that got me started was http://www.ericphelps.com/security/pac.htm

--Skip

Monday, January 12, 2009 1:30 PM