Trying to update rest of 20 clients to Windows 10 version 1607 from Windows 7 issues RRS feed

• Question

• First, we use Windows Server 2016.

I had used the Windows V Next Upgrade 1506 zip file to import the task in SCCM for Windows 10 upgrade and that worked for all Windows 7 machines, over 250 total, but the last set of 20 users, the task sequence fails, but enough about that. SCCM needs to be upgraded to 1602 i believe or higher.

So we are trying WSUS and approved the update Windows 7 and 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1607, En-us,  but when approving that clients do not even get this update, in report in WSUS it shows failed on those machines.

ESD. application/octet-stream  mime type is already added as I pushed the anniversary update to those Window 10 pushes that had the older build

But then on a Windows 7 machine I noticed if I

navigated to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

and

Create the following DWORD 32 bit value  to the right of OSUPGRADE

"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

Then i run updates on the client i get the following which Is nice to finally see, but if I click on Get Started only this prompts for admin rights, but if i click in Show all available updates and uncheck the 1607 version and check the other office updates, i am able to click install on a standard account with no admin rights.

I know something is missing for this one in GPO?    Any quick advice for those who used WSUS for 10 upgrade much appreciate it.

Thanks

Best regards,<br/> <br/> <strong>Joe C<br/> </strong>Partner Online Technical Community<br/> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/> We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:<br/> <a href="http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads"><span style="color:#0033cc">http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads<br/> </span></a>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/> This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights <hr>

Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Joe-ker,

Based on my knowledge, in general, if you need to install the updates or upgrade, you need the admin rights to do the operation.

>but if i click in Show all available updates and uncheck the 1607 version and check the other office updates, i am able to click install on a standard account with no admin rights.

For general updates, there's the option "Allow all users to install updates on this computer in the Who can install updates". You could enable it. So that standard user could also install the updates.

We could only use admin permission to do the upgrade operation

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Joe-ker Friday, June 2, 2017 12:03 PM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 3:15 AM

All replies

• This is from an old guide I made when I did my 7/8 to 10 upgrades during the free period.

If you are going to deploy upgrades either to Windows 10 from an earlier Operating System (Windows 7/8) or from Windows 10 to Windows 10 latest streams, in Products/Classifications, make sure to check of the Upgrades box or Windows 10 will not be available to deploy. You also will need to add a MIME type for *.esd as application/octet-stream at the top level in IIS. If you will be upgrading Windows 7 or Windows 8 systems to Windows 10, you will also need 3 Registry edits on each of the machines you want to upgrade to Windows 10. The easiest is a Group Policy Preferences (GPP) Registry Update with the following keys:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

"OSUpgradeInteractive"=dword:00000001

"OSUpgradeRunOnceCount"=dword:00000001

Apply this GPP to your clients that you wish to have updated to Windows 10.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:57 AM
  • That didn't work, everything in WSUS is set up right, When clicking on Get Started for upgrade to windows 10 in windows updates it prompts for admin rights

Best regards,<br/> <br/> <strong>Joe C<br/> </strong>Partner Online Technical Community<br/> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/> We hope you get value from our new forums platform! Tell us what you think:<br/> <a href="http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads"><span style="color:#0033cc">http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/partnerfdbk/threads<br/> </span></a>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br/> This posting is provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties, and confers no rights <hr>

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:54 AM
  • Hi Joe-ker,

Based on my knowledge, in general, if you need to install the updates or upgrade, you need the admin rights to do the operation.

>but if i click in Show all available updates and uncheck the 1607 version and check the other office updates, i am able to click install on a standard account with no admin rights.

For general updates, there's the option "Allow all users to install updates on this computer in the Who can install updates". You could enable it. So that standard user could also install the updates.

We could only use admin permission to do the upgrade operation

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Joe-ker Friday, June 2, 2017 12:03 PM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 3:15 AM