Issues with touch screen when using Word VBA comboboxes RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have produced Microsoft Word forms for contractors for the past 10 years that make heavy use of VBA, in particular comboboxes.

I have noticed using Office 365 for Word on a touchscreen device, the combobox cannot be activated by touching on the formfield with the finger.  It does work when selected using a stylus pen. However, I tested the same forms using Word 2010, and I was able to activate the combobox cell by touching the screen.

There is a workaround to the issue, in that it is possible to select the cell before the combobox, and then tab into the cell using the onscreen keyboard.  But this is far from ideal.

Everyday, I speak to contractors and they ask my advice about purchasing decisions.  We only support Windows devices at present, so many of our customers are purchasing Windows Tablets instead of competitor's tablets.  However, because of the issue with the comboboxes, I am forced to mention our software works better using an older version of Word - which is not what I want to be telling them.

Is there a way I can alter the settings in Word 365 to improve the behaviour of touchscreen for comboboxes?  Or is there anyone who could pass on my thoughts to the Word 365 Programming team?

Many thanks

Chris

• Changed type George123345 Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:25 AM Open discussion
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:35 AM

All replies

• Just to add that I am using the Office desktop client installed from Office 365 portal.
    Friday, October 2, 2015 8:36 AM
  • I have done some more research and the Entry\Exit macros works as follows with touch:

Office Version

Windows 7

Windows 8

Windows 10

Works

Works

Works

Works

Does Not Work

Does Not Work

Not tested

Does not Work

Does Not Work

I will post my suggestion here to see if it can be made to work better.

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10104207-make-vba-combobox-open-to-touch-when-using-word-20]

I have posted to Word user voice webpage

• Edited by HSL98 Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'll collect the info about this issue and submit it with our internal channel. If we have any update, we'll post on our forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:25 AM
  • Thank you George.  I appreciate you submitting this.
    Friday, October 16, 2015 4:31 PM